...and then we inherited some more chicks

DrChickenKev

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
The school where the other half works had some chicks for the children to see a hatch etc, although couldnt keep them more than a week so we somehow were donated them on the premise we keep the children up to date with pics etc.

So they all had poo-ey bums when they got here and so I gave them all a rinse and wash, haircut, shave, and then a dry in a warm towel:

Then we put them out on the grass and one of the Silkie sisters started chirping - so we let her join in with them...

They took to new mom instantly:

And in the morning:

Awe, instant mom! Gota love it!!!
lol.png

To be honest we werent sure either; she had started sitting on her own eggs around a month ago and then her sister joined her, sitting right by her on their 6 eggs

Anyway, I thought I take the opportunity and put a couple of eggs from our Ex Batts and Black Rock underneath too - well, all the silkie eggs were duds (but the mums were only born in October last year), but two of the other eggs came through (the other one couldnt get out their shell in time)

So when we were donated these I put them in the garden in a little pen of their own last night, and Silkie sis started cooing, so we let her out and she seemed interested in the new chicks - we like to think she thought that she might have forgotten these from her other two adopted chicks

So then we put her in the run with the chicks and they just each other straight away, chicks pushing underneath mother's wings, mother cooing and telling them where food was...

...So there we are, we have a Silkie chicken who has yet to be a mum of her own chicks but seems more than adequate in raising everyone elses!!!

What a wonderful story! Bless her heart, mom wanted to be a mom no matter where the chicks came from. Silkies are famous for adopting chicks.

Back
Top Bottom