And this basket is JUST right!

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
At first, before my girls arrived, I went shopping for my 'chicken supplies'--You know ---all those things that one "NEEDS" when they have chickens and on my list was a egg basket...A real honest to goodness egg basket... And because I was getting 12 hens, I would need a large basket for all my eggs... Twelve eggs, that my girls would lay for me every day...... Now , remember I had never had chickens and only had helped my Great Aunt with hers on summer vacation a few yrs.. So, for weeks, I looked at beautiful, big, new baskets with nice /different shapes and sizes.. So, I found two-- one a peck size (think one large enough to hold a basketball) basket and the other a square basket with chicken wire.. They were beautiful, very country and since I would be collecting at least a dozen eggs a day---They were the prefect size...So, I waited, and waited and waited ---for six more weeks before my "Point Of Lay" pullets actually started to lay... Then it was just one egg a day, from one of the sweet Barred Rocks.. But I soon (very soon) found that the egg would roll around in the big baskets when your 2 yr old grandson is sooooo excited to show Papa the egg--- it would get broken... Soooo-- it was off to the local junk store (I learned that the chickens don't care if the basket are new LOL) to find a NEW prefect basket for my eggs that I would soon be getting...Well, we found one--a med. size basket because by this time we had three eggs a day.. It was still too big and hard for the 2 yr old to carry it with it's long handle......Soooo, off to the junk store to find a basket that was med. sized with a shorter handle... We found the prefect basket....Yep, it was the prefect shape and size for that dozen of eggs we would soon be collecting..... But those four eggs seemed to roll around and I feared they might get broken on the way to the house..... SOOOOOOO, off to the junk store we go again... to look for that prefect basket for all those eggs these girls would soon be laying.... I spotted it..YES ,the PREFECT basket was there waiting on us... But this time we chose a tiny little round pear shaped basket--the cost 25 cents... --the bottom is about 3" in dia. It holds all seven of the eggs we get from our 40week old girls PREFECTLY--with room for 4-5 more---IF and WHEN the others decide they will lay.... There is no rolling around, there is no 'bouncing' out--we have found the basket that is just right for our eggs....

So, tell me that I am not the only one who thought they needed a 1/2 bushel basket (well almost) for their eggs!!!!!! Tell us how you chose your egg basket...
And yes, the junk store gave me credits for all those other baskets I had purchased and returned....
pop.gif

Hmm a basket you say? LOL I use my feed scoop! I toss the feed, grab the eggs, and back to the porch I go! Steven takes an egg carton with him and just puts them straight into the carton.

I've that read some BYCers put them in their pockets, sometimes with sticky consequences. One poster said she was at the store paying for an item and pulled an egg out of her pocket instead of change!
ROFLMAO_emote_by_morima.gif

LOL, no pocket messes yet...But if we didn't have a basket, my grandson would want to hold them and carry them into the house... Do you know how much a two yr. falls??

I LOVE "Does this fence make me look fat?" is it one of yours??

I asked my students what the perfect basket to collect eggs in for a two year old would be yesterday. One of them told me that his daddy made his little sister a basket out of an Easter basket and put 2 inch thick foam in the bottom of it with holes cut out to fit 12 eggs in. I thought that was a pretty neat idea.

Dixie... I'm going to need a picture of this basket... I can't seem to wrap my mind around it...

pear shaped
3 " in diameter
holds 7 eggs with room to spear

nope, gonna need a picture.
big_smile.png

Oh and I've been one of the ones to stick eggs in my pocket and been sorry later. One time I was at my mom's favorite Swedish Pancake diner place and went up to pay and pulled out an egg.... the cashier had a good chuckle.

It didn't make the car ride home.... maybe when I picked up my 3 year old and forgot what pocket and hip it was on. ha ha ha. splat.

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif
I remember one day when Denny had picked up the eggs. He forgot one in the breast pocket of his coat. He couldn't think of what that bulge was in that breast pocket, several hours later, and rather than simply reach in and pull out what ever it was, he patted it...why? I have NO idea what possessed him to do that...but, of course, the consequences of such a careless action were sticky, gooey and yellow!
lau.gif

Usually, I'll either just stuff them in my coat pocket, or grab a carton off of the shelf in the coop where we keep the spares. It all depends on how many eggs there are for the day. Some days I need a carton, other days, my pockets serve just fine.
wink.png

But yes, I too went on the great egg basket hunt after purchasing our first dozen chicks. I too had these grand, albeit naive, notions of overflowing baskets of beautiful farm fresh eggs. Boy! Was that a learning experience.
lol.png

I'll try to take a picture of mine, but basically I found a basket perfect for the 5 eggs I collect every day, and then bc I don't trust the rolling around AT ALL, I took an egg carton and cut it in half and then took the bottom part and cut it in half again giving me the 6 pockets from the bottom of the carton and just sat it down inside my basket. I still have a pretty basket, that's the perfect size and my eggs are still perfectly safe. Now I just have to find a bigger one when I get more chickens :)
Will try to attach pic tmrw if I remember!

Back
Top Bottom