And you think you've got problems

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Jan 19, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just read on my SIL's Facebook page that his library got skunked. First of all he's a kinda eccentric expat Brit who collects books, primarily old mathematics books, of which he has a thousand or more. He stores these in a converted barn--it was remodeled as an antique shop by the previous owners--where he also has his shop, office and they have a ping pong table plus a lot of storage. Apparently they also have a skunk living under the floor. Last night he and my daughter were playing ping pong and, apparently, the skunk too umbrage and let loose. He's now beside himself as to whether his books, not to mention computer et al, will ever be odor free.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    oh dear![​IMG]

3. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    I DO have problems and they are really stinky but not that kind of stinky. [​IMG]

I wonder if a fire/water damage company would have ideas on how to rid the smell?

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've heard there is an enzyme product one can use to get skunk odor out of things. Don't know what it's called, but I'm sure someone here does. The musk is mostly going to be on the exposed parts of his book covers so he might be able to remove a good part of it.

Then increase the ventilation in his library!

5. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Wow, no tomato juice fix for that one. Sounds like a job for the restoration pro's in this case. They can work wonders with skunk damage and hopefully insurance will cover it. What a hassle, though!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is a hard one. I know a few things that don't work real well with dogs, but I sure don't know about books or computers.
    Maybe talk to a librarian about finding a solution? Your county extension agent may be able to help find somebody that knows what they are doing. Time heals all wounds, but [​IMG]

7. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That stinks. I'd hate to be the adjuster handling that claim. Does he have insurance?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    [​IMG] Oh my! did you READ what you wrote?
    Quote:Oh my...can you imagine being on the receiving end of that phone call? "Um, hello. I have a claim that I need to file. No, no fire or storm, and we will be all right. But, you see, there was this skunk..."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  9. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    lots AND lots of baking soda!!!!!! you can buy 10 lb bags at Sam's club. while the soda is
    alll over everything spray with freebreeze uncented. Let it sit.....and sit.....vacume. Repeat if needed. it does work on nonwet oders.

10. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Oh that's just heart-wrenching! I hope for the best for him and the recovery of his books.

Did he call animal control to dispatch said pest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by