And You?

What Qualities Do You Look For In A Roo ?

• Total voters
How old are your two? I definitely would choose the one that shows NO human aggressiveness over anything else. However, you don’t want a roo that is aggressive to the hens either.
over 7 months. I raised them from chicks, neither are aggressive.

How many hens do you have? If you have more than 10 girls, which is a little on the low side for two Roos, could you possibly keep both? They will have skirmishes until they work out the hierarchy, but they should get along and have 5 or so hens a piece. Are your girls the same age or older?

A lot of times the older girls will not submit to a new or younger roo and he will have to garner his harem from younger pullets coming into the flock.

How many hens do you have? If you have more than 10 girls, which is a little on the low side for two Roos, could you possibly keep both? They will have skirmishes until they work out the hierarchy, but they should get along and have 5 or so hens a piece. Are your girls the same age or older?

A lot of times the older girls will not submit to a new or younger roo and he will have to garner his harem from younger pullets coming into the flock.
I have though about this a lot.... I'd have kept them both, but one of my 'Guinea-hens' was not a hen. Also, Because of chicken lockdown, there is no longer space for both. I love them both.... but that's life.

I have to choose between the beautiful one and the tamer one.

For the ones like 'big' and 'purebred' it depends on other things- Like if I had a flock with smaller hens, I wouldn't want a giant brahma rooster, and if I was trying to breed to standard, I'd obviously want a pure rooster.

Back
Top Bottom