Anemic looking hen

The last time I did Corid was 8 weeks ago, and the Ivomec I've used was recommended by my vet, two drops under the wing every 6 weeks.

I have a pullet, hatched 3-15-14, that has always appeared pale, more so than the rest of her hatchlings. She has been wormed, and gets plenty of 16% feed. She keeps her eyes closed most of the time. What should I do for her to help her improve?
Can you take her to a vet? If not, bring her inside and keep her warm. FYI, Ivomec is not a good wormer for poultry, so consider her *not* wormed. -Kathy

What wormer do you recommend? My vet is the one who told me to use ivomec. So he's obviously not one to take her to.

What wormer do you recommend? My vet is the one who told me to use ivomec. So he's obviously not one to take her to.

One of my vets also recommended ivermectin, but I know better. Just because she suggested it doesn't mean I'll stop using her, instead I'll show her the studies and talk to her about them.
big_smile.png
Guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't write off your vet just because they recommended ivomec. IMO, your hen is critically ill and should be seen before your worm her since her anemia may have nothing to do with worms.

-Kathy

On computer now, so here is that study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2816174
"Ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic--trials with naturally infected domestic fowl.

Oksanen A, Nikander S.
Abstract

To evaluate the use of ivermectin as a bird anthelmintic, 29 White Leghorn hens naturally infected with Ascaridia spp., Heterakis spp. and Capillaria spp. were treated with 0.2, 2 or 6 mg/kg intramuscularly or 0.2 or 0.8 mg/kg orally. Faecal samples were collected before treatment and at autopsy, 2, 6, or 16 days after treatment, when the intestines were also examined for helminths. None of the treatments gave satisfactory anthelmintic results.
PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

-Kathy

I'd recommend Valbazen suspension. Call your local feed store to see if they carry it. Dosage is .5 ml given orally with a syringe, minus the needle. Like Kathy mentioned, Ivermectin is not an effective dewormer, especially the topical types like Eprinex.

In the meantime I would highly recommend a run of Corid for 7 days as a treatment. Use 2 tsp (10ml) Corid for each gallon of water. make a fresh solution each morning. Keep waterers and feeders clean. You should run vitamin-electrolyte & probiotic powder in the waterers for 3 days after treatment.

A good blood builder has iodine, plenty of B vitamins, iron, etc. The thyroid needs to get going to stimulate the metabolism so red blood cells can become more numerous. That means you will need to supplement feed/water on a weekly basis. I do it rain or shine 2-3 days a week. if you need assistance finding a good blood building supplement let me know. This is a stressful time of year for many birds that are in moult.

What blood building supplement should I use? This is all excellent information, I appreciate it so much.

Back
Top Bottom