Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
I have a 7 and 1/2 week old duckling that has something strange going on with his wings. Doesn't appear to be angel wing, but then again I've never experienced it before. The feathers on his back are puffed up and his wingtips are nearly dragging on the ground, but they are not facing outwards like I see in most angel wing pictures. Here are a few shots:

700.jpg
Note how the top part of his wings kind of stick out and puff up above his body, and those wing tips droop along the ground, but not outwards.https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6699363/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, so lovely!

As wing feathers come in, the wings get heavier, I am told, and so the muscles that hold the wings get fatigued until the duckling develops more muscle mass and strength.

I think this is a normal stage in ducklinghood.

She may need a wrap - I hope someone who has done this can check in. There is a thread somewhere here on how to properly wrap for angel wing - and care does need to be taken so that her circulation and breathing are not affected.

I would start adding a poultry vitamin to their water once a week for the next couple of months.

gig.gif Oh, mercy, am I distracted or what? This IS that thread! roll.png

The first post from Celtic Oaks shows it - and so you may want to give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom