Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
Please send us regular updates. hugs.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Only luck I'v ever had fixing angel wing is to use plain old gray duct tape by itself, it's the only thing that will stay put for a week without slipping off. Vet wrap doesn't work! The guy on the youtube video who puts a raw chicken wing in a vice and wraps it with vet wrap is a real quack, it doesn't work on real alive feathered birds.

700.jpg
Here's my little 9 week old little runt, turned really bad slip wing a week ago, no way will it get better without being taped up. Still not sure what sex this one is, thought for sure a drake but in the rigors of being taped up it quacked like a duck i think. It's so tiny, that maybe the hen vocal hasn't developed yet. It's mama has an unusually high pitched quack, so i'm still holding out hope it'a hen. Sure hard to tape up when they are so small, will keep taped up for a week or 10 days and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only luck I'v ever had fixing angel wing is to use plain old gray duct tape by itself, it's the only thing that will stay put for a week without slipping off. Vet wrap doesn't work! The guy on the youtube video who puts a raw chicken wing in a vice and wraps it with vet wrap is a real quack, it doesn't work on real alive feathered birds.
I don't use anything but vet wrap, and I've found it to work fine. Tape of any kind shouldn't be left on developing wings for a week, or even days. The ducks need some time to stretch their wings. I wrap mine if they have wing issues, remove the wrap to let them exercise, then rewrap them afterward.

I don't use anything but vet wrap, and I've found it to work fine. Tape of any kind shouldn't be left on developing wings for a week, or even days. The ducks need some time to stretch their wings. I wrap mine if they have wing issues, remove the wrap to let them exercise, then rewrap them afterward.

this is the only way to do it, and the little white call drake i did the exact same thing to last month had excellent results, you'd never know he once had angel wing. It's been my experience that vet wrap slides off and and a broken, slipped joint needs stability to mend and heal. It doesn't even make sense to me to unwrap a bone/joint that hasn't healed yet so that it can flop around and break or slip again. My way works, and i encourage others to give it a try. Of course you have to keep them out of bathing water or else the tape comes off. :D

Back
Top Bottom