Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
this is the only way to do it, and the little white call drake i did the exact same thing to last month had excellent results, you'd never know he once had angel wing. It's been my experience that vet wrap slides off and and a broken, slipped joint needs stability to mend and heal. It doesn't even make sense to me to unwrap a bone/joint that hasn't healed yet so that it can flop around and break or slip again. My way works, and i encourage others to give it a try. Of course you have to keep them out of bathing water or else the tape comes off. big_smile.png

No, it's not the only way to do it, just a different way to do it. It really depends whether you're talking about angel wing/slipped wing/lazy wing. It's difficult to correct any of it if they don't still have developing wings, and I just can't imagine duct taping any part of my ducks. Taping in or up, or both, works with vet wrap since it sticks to itself but not to the duck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some young muscovies and the drake was picking on the darker girl and it looks like he broke her wing tip. Can I treat it like angel wing but keep it wrapped for several days? The other wing bends out a little but the right side he really twisted badly. sad.png

I have some young muscovies and the drake was picking on the darker girl and it looks like he broke her wing tip. Can I treat it like angel wing but keep it wrapped for several days? The other wing bends out a little but the right side he really twisted badly. :( LL.png
I'd give it another week to let his wing grow out a little bit so there's more to tape to, while there is still blood in the quills though, that is definitely slipped wing or angel wing in the photo i think. Beautiful blue color on that one.

700.jpg

Day 3, still hanging in there. On day 2 Houdini escaped his tape, so yesterday i wrapped up both wings so he could't get undone, checked on him a couple of times overnight and found him on his back because he couldn't keep his balance with both wings taped, so i took the scissors and cut his other wing loose so that it's just partially taped, so far his left wing is staying taped close to his body, he might still have a little droopy wing afterwards, but at least it won't be sticking straight out in angel wing fashion.

700.jpg
Day 5 of mending angel wing, Houdini is being a pretty good patient, the stick/glue on that duct tape will hopefully last a few more days before it loses it's grip. Duct tape on a duck doesn't stick forever, hopefully it will last another few days.

My muscovy Amy wrapped with vet wrap.

700.png

She tolerated this very well. I did both wings since they were both not in the right position. I did fold over a bit more in front and behind her legs. That is one thing I love about vet wrap, so easy to fold it to make it easier for them to move. She acts like there is nothing there once the initial weirdness wore off. It's not very tight but staying on and most importantly keeping her wings in position so I'm a happy duck mom!

Should I re-wrap in a week or so?

My muscovy Amy wrapped with vet wrap. LL.png She tolerated this very well. I did both wings since they were both not in the right position. I did fold over a bit more in front and behind her legs. That is one thing I love about vet wrap, so easy to fold it to make it easier for them to move. She acts like there is nothing there once the initial weirdness wore off. It's not very tight but staying on and most importantly keeping her wings in position so I'm a happy duck mom! Should I re-wrap in a week or so?
Good luck! Hope your girl keeps her wraps on and her wings heal!

Back
Top Bottom