Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
700.jpg
700.jpg
Bibbed gray call drakelet with badly slipped left wing. Taped it up with just duct tape because it's impossible in my experience to keep anything else on. In about 7 days the tape will loose it's stick and voila! all better. His wing is horribly, badly slipped, and I don't think it will come out perfect, I expect his wing to droop a little, but not stick out. Will post after picture in a week. I need him as a breeder for my black call hens to produce more grays.
My goodness that does not look good but It's amazing what a little duck tape can do. Look forward to see the results. Good to see you @duckmeister

Last edited by a moderator:
700.jpg
700.jpg
Bibbed gray call drakelet with badly slipped left wing. Taped it up with just duct tape because it's impossible in my experience to keep anything else on. In about 7 days the tape will loose it's stick and voila! all better. His wing is horribly, badly slipped, and I don't think it will come out perfect, I expect his wing to droop a little, but not stick out. Will post after picture in a week. I need him as a breeder for my black call hens to produce more grays.
Poor guy!

My goodness that does not look good but It's amazing what a little duck tape can do. Look forward to see the results. Good to see you @duckmeister
x2

Thankyou Miss Lydia and Ren2014. Will post after pictures for sure, day 2 and he is quietly accepting his confinement and the tape hasn't come loose yet. :)
Also, I mis spoke he's a blue-bibbed call drake, not gray, although he actually is gray!

I don't have a picture right now as its dark and I'm not too sure on the proper terms for the wing parts, but I think my 8 week old drake has suddenly showed signs of AW but I'm not sure if it's just his flight feathers growing in or if he injured himself. I'll do my best to describe and post a picture tomorrow after work if need be. The bottom half(furthest from body) of one of his wings doesn't tuck properly and what feathers he does have lay on top of the top of his wing (what would be the drummet) which makes it stick out from his body, but not a 90° angle if you get what I mean. He has most of the top layer of feathers on his wing but the bottom layers are still working on coming in. How can I tell if the blood is still in the feathers? The base of the feathers are black.

Also, the skin around the affected area looks irritated, pink, and maybe scraped a little. Is it possible that he injured it and it's not aw? And if so, should I still wrap it like this? We don't have an avian vet anywhere nearby so we can't take him in :(

I don't have a picture right now as its dark and I'm not too sure on the proper terms for the wing parts, but I think my 8 week old drake has suddenly showed signs of AW but I'm not sure if it's just his flight feathers growing in or if he injured himself. I'll do my best to describe and post a picture tomorrow after work if need be. The bottom half(furthest from body) of one of his wings doesn't tuck properly and what feathers he does have lay on top of the top of his wing (what would be the drummet) which makes it stick out from his body, but not a 90° angle if you get what I mean. He has most of the top layer of feathers on his wing but the bottom layers are still working on coming in. How can I tell if the blood is still in the feathers? The base of the feathers are black.

Also, the skin around the affected area looks irritated, pink, and maybe scraped a little. Is it possible that he injured it and it's not aw? And if so, should I still wrap it like this? We don't have an avian vet anywhere nearby so we can't take him in sad.png
A pic would help.

400.jpg
Here's a picture. It's dropping more today than it was but I've also noticed they're both lifting and adjusting their wings a lot. My drake (picture) grew his feathers in a lot faster than my other duck. She doesn't even have her wing feathers in yet like my drake does so maybe it's just too heavy? I'm not really sure. I can't get a picture of the skin on his wing right now because he ran off the porch again but it's still a bit pink and has one or two tiny blood veins that make it look like he could have scraped his wing.

400.jpg
Here's a picture. It's dropping more today than it was but I've also noticed they're both lifting and adjusting their wings a lot. My drake (picture) grew his feathers in a lot faster than my other duck. She doesn't even have her wing feathers in yet like my drake does so maybe it's just too heavy? I'm not really sure. I can't get a picture of the skin on his wing right now because he ran off the porch again but it's still a bit pink and has one or two tiny blood veins that make it look like he could have scraped his wing.
It's hard to say from that angle. What you are describing sounds like it's just heavy with blood feathers which causes the drooping. Lifting and adjusting the wings is building up the muscles. AW definitely turns away from the body unlike heavy blood feathers that just droop. Here's a picture of a guy I wrapped today. Not the best picture but if you zoom in, you can see his wing turns out. The tips are what blood feathers look like.
700.jpg

I just zoomed in on your picture. Looks like the wing is just heavy with blood feathers.

It's hard to say from that angle. What you are describing sounds like it's just heavy with blood feathers which causes the drooping. Lifting and adjusting the wings is building up the muscles. AW definitely turns away from the body unlike heavy blood feathers that just droop. Here's a picture of a guy I wrapped today. Not the best picture but if you zoom in, you can see his wing turns out. The tips are what blood feathers look like. LL.jpg I just zoomed in on your picture. Looks like the wing is just heavy with blood feathers.
Okay thank you! It's definitely not sticking out at a right angle! I'll keep an eye on it to make sure everything's fine. Thanks again

400.jpg
This one wing when he adjust doe it lay flat? usually when mine have the heavy blood feathers and they go through the droop adjust stage they hang but not out like the one in your pic? he could be scrapping it across something fencing, duck house. I don't think it's AW though.But does it lay flat against his body one he adjust it.

Back
Top Bottom