Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
Duct tape has successfully fixed 2 ducks with angel wing for me this season.
They had a bad case of angel wing and now they are 100% normal. Who has been successful using vet wrap? huh?
I only use vet wrap. The thought of using duct tape on my ducks gives me the willies. hide.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I only use vet wrap. The thought of using duct tape on my ducks gives me the willies. :oops:

My 2 call ducks this hatch that had severe angel wing, that now have 100% normal perfect wings thanks to duct tape, i think my ducks would say they love Doctor Duckmeister fixed them with duct tape. I still don't believe any if maybe few get angel wing fixed with vetwrap, because it doesn't stay on, ducks slip out of it. Seems to me they would have to get wrapped so tight to keep it on they would suffocate or die of heatstroke. It gives me the heebie jeebie's to think of having to wrap a duck so tight with vet wrap. I would never use vet wrap.

My 2 call ducks this hatch that had severe angel wing, that now have 100% normal perfect wings thanks to duct tape, i think my ducks would say they love Doctor Duckmeister fixed them with duct tape. I still don't believe any if maybe few get angel wing fixed with vetwrap, because it doesn't stay on, ducks slip out of it. Seems to me they would have to get wrapped so tight to keep it on they would suffocate or die of heatstroke. It gives me the heebie jeebie's to think of having to wrap a duck so tight with vet wrap. I would never use vet wrap.

Different strokes. I rarely have wing issues in mine, but vet wrap works for me when I do.

hi, (please do not judge)

but I am new to everything ducky's and I know nothing about angel wing had no idea what it was till I notice my ducky's wings just didn't look so normal to me. I have 2 blue Rouen ducks 5 weeks old goin on 6 weeks I honestly couldn't tell you their sex but I have named them in hopes of having boy and girl (Donald and daisy duck) lol they both feed on chick starter non medicated and they have food and water available at all times (bad or good thing?) while both of my ducks seem to have similar looking wings one of my ducks who I am hoping is the girl daisy wings seem to stick out badly from both sides of her and I am afraid she has a case of angel wings. have I done something wrong in raising them thus far? I had them since they were I believe 3 days old or so and they have grown extremely quick I worry if shes ok and if in case she does have angel wings is it too late to wrap her? would my other duck bother her if I wrap her? and what exactly might I need to successfully wrap her up? I will be sure to post a pic sometime today. thanks

hi, (please do not judge)

but I am new to everything ducky's and I know nothing about angel wing had no idea what it was till I notice my ducky's wings just didn't look so normal to me. I have 2 blue Rouen ducks 5 weeks old goin on 6 weeks I honestly couldn't tell you their sex but I have named them in hopes of having boy and girl (Donald and daisy duck) lol they both feed on chick starter non medicated and they have food and water available at all times (bad or good thing?) while both of my ducks seem to have similar looking wings one of my ducks who I am hoping is the girl daisy wings seem to stick out badly from both sides of her and I am afraid she has a case of angel wings. have I done something wrong in raising them thus far? I had them since they were I believe 3 days old or so and they have grown extremely quick I worry if shes ok and if in case she does have angel wings is it too late to wrap her? would my other duck bother her if I wrap her? and what exactly might I need to successfully wrap her up? I will be sure to post a pic sometime today. thanks

I also put them outside from time to time to feed on the grass (I am in the process of building their new home) weather conditions have delayed me

No judging, here. It's a steep learning curve with ducks.

And there are at least two schools of thought on the causes of angel wing. Some blame it on too much protein. Others point to research showing it's more of a genetic problem. So please don't kick yourself.

Food with water 24/7 is the way to go with ducklings. They grow so quickly, they need all the nourishment they can get.

I think if you look at the first posts on this thread you will see how it is done. You need to be very careful not to cut circulation to the wings - there is blood flowing to the feathers so they can grow.

If you can post photo's that will help. Sometimes ducklings get odd looking feathers as they grow in, and they straighten out in a few days.

Putting them outside, as long as they are kept safe, and don't get too cold, should be fine. Ducklings will get themselves into trouble given half the chance. So do keep an eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom