Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
1000.jpg
Day 12, the tape is finally allowing his wing to be free, and unfortunately it still turns out in angel wing, it seems I waited until he was to old, although he still had blood in his quills, the bone apparently was already set. Gave it my best shot, now back out in the pen with the other ducks he goes. Have a younger black bibbed call hen, looks like she's growing in angel wing on both wings, will tape her up here in a few days and see if I can get a better result by starting when she is a bit younger than this drake was.

Last edited by a moderator:
1000.jpg
Day 12, the tape is finally allowing his wing to be free, and unfortunately it still turns out in angel wing, it seems I waited until he was to old, although he still had blood in his quills, the bone apparently was already set. Gave it my best shot, now back out in the pen with the other ducks he goes. Have a younger black bibbed call hen, looks like she's growing in angel wing on both wings, will tape her up here in a few days and see if I can get a better result by starting when she is a bit younger than this drake was.
So sorry to hear it didn't work. How old was he again? I noticed a difference in your wrapping. It seems your emphasis is on the bend in the wing?? Do you wrap behind the legs and over the back to get the tip of the wing? Could trying to get the duct tape off be pulling at the wing? I've had wonderful luck with just using Vet-wrap and in some cases for just two days. Mine have all been at about 8 wks old though. Good luck with the hen and do keep us posted fl.gif

1000.jpg
Sorry it didn't work this time @duckmeister but hope is not lost @jchny2000 I beleive tried taping after first molt when flight feather just started growing in and had success. Just means you have to wait for first molt.

1000.jpg
1000.jpg
1000.jpg
On the other hand; Turned him back out last night after dark, went out to check on him this afternoon and his wing looks great! Just sticks out a little bit, is not hardly noticable unless looking from the opposite side you see it stick oit a little bit. I'm calling this a success if it continues. Will let you know if it changes. Thankyou Miss Lydia, had never thought about trying again after first molt, that's good to know.

1000.jpg
1000.jpg
1000.jpg
On the other hand; Turned him back out last night after dark, went out to check on him this afternoon and his wing looks great! Just sticks out a little bit, is not hardly noticable unless looking from the opposite side you see it stick oit a little bit. I'm calling this a success if it continues. Will let you know if it changes. Thankyou Miss Lydia, had never thought about trying again after first molt, that's good to know.
This is wonderful to read!

Quote: I had good luck with a goose hen when she dropped her primary flight feathers. She had a double angel wing problem, both wings were affected. I wrapped her BODY first with the vet wrap, then taped each wing down individually. Confined her in a large dog crate. She is a very social hen, so that helps of course! I had to rewrap her once if I remember but it did correct her wings. Its important to watch for those primary feathers to drop and the new shafts to appear. I am sorry I don't have pictures, my cell phone is at least 4 years old. It may not work for your situation but worth a shot.

We have two bantam Australian Spotted ducks, a drake (eclipse phase) and a hen that were both hatched last year, that are developing angel wing as their flight feathers are growing in during this molt. It seems unusual to have it develop in one-year-old ducks but since I taped their wings today (right wing on each) I took pictures to share how we use paper tape to hold the wing in place without going around the body as so many people do. By the time the biodegradable tape comes off the wing will be fixed and the feathers have room to grow. Also, the ducks can still use their wings for balance and the wing is in a natural resting position. I will most likely remove them from our breeding flock once their wings are tucked under normally again because I don't want to chance it being a genetic defect.

400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom