Angel wing must be genetic . Right??

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
ok here is my scenario that makes me feel angel wing must be genetic.

I have Muscovy ducks 2 drakes 5 hens. one drake has angel wing. the other does not. no hens have it. After reading some stuff I had decided that angel wing was dietary or at least dietary stimulated with genetic predisposition. SO i let the angel wing drake stay and breed. I sold most of the ducklings (which i now feel bad about) but kept 3 ducklings.....they have been free range literally since day one. raised by mama. and fed only one time a day (2 times first 3-4 weeks) a 19% starter with all the other ducks. Yet 2 of the 3 have developed angel wing and there is no way they have been over fed....??????????

angel wing isn't about over-feeding but about high protein. I think that it is both genetic and dietary. I have 5 goslings now and 1 is develping angel wing. They have all been fed the same feed, etc. Again, I think that it is both. Every individual animal is different and the way the their body processes nutrients may be different than another.
I have read somewhere, don't remember where, and I think it is more common practice to not breed birds with angel wing. All and all though, it is really more of a cosmetic thing.

Yes and no. If the parents had angel wings they may be more likely to have it but it's defiantly not a guarantee that they will develop it. I know many cases of parents having it while none of the offspring showed it.

According to Dave Holderread, angel (or slipped) wing is felt to be more often nutrition related. It can be due to excess or inadequate protein, vitamins and minerals or even brooder temps. Also heavy breeds of ducks can appear to have slipped wing, but in reality, their wings are just too big for their bodies and will catch up.

It is felt that feeding ducklings over 2 weeks of age a diet of more than 16% protein can increase wing disorders. Wing disorders can be reduced by feeding no more than 18% protein until 2 weeks of age and 15 to 16% protein after that.

Other sources say it is possible for it to be genetic

Hope that helps! :)

i know i read that in his book and was part of the reason for my belief before. I just think there has to be at least a genetic tendency for it based on my observations

Yeah, could be, I guess. I have never run into it. I have had rescue ducks with angel wing who never had offspring with angel wing.

i just have a hard time seeing commercial feed once a day, even at 19%, being too much protein. but i am no expert for sure.

The feed can be the trigger to genetic predisposed AW condition. You can 6 ducks from the same parents and have 1 develop AW, while the siblings do not. Some (just like humans) are more prone to presenting issues. (sorta like a family of 6 but only 1 child needs glasses)

Since high protien can be the trigger it is widely accepted to reduce protien levels to help prevent AW. This doesn't always completely prevent it, but often does make a difference. Feeding once a day is common as they should also be foraging during the day. Since we have no control over the forage they take in and the protien levels we control the levels in the commercial feed we provide to them.

how do you safely cut proten by 5% or so without cutting other nutients as well??

Back
Top Bottom