Angel Wing over night???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by aineheartsyou, Aug 11, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Last night when I put my babies to bed everyone looked normal but when I went to put everyone outside for the day my lavender gander's wing was droopy and turning out [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is it possible to develop angel wing over night? I have seen my gander and goose pick on each other once in a while, could she have pulled on it and did this to his wing? I kept him inside this morning and he is in the bath tub having a bath and I am going to wrap it once he is done and dry. Should I keep him separate while the wrap is on so my goose and ducks dont pick on it? Thanks for any advice!

2. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Does this look ok? I only wrapped the one wing. Should have I wrapped the other wing as well?
    [​IMG]

3. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    no one???

4. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
  5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Yup one morning you go out to do chores and there's a youngster with some flipped out pin feathers. [​IMG]
    I would recemmend that the end tip be folding under the upper part of the wing.
    Tucked it in like they would naturally hold it. You have the tips of the feathers on the outside.
    Other than that keep it wrapped for a week and take it off and see what's going on.
    They can be allowed to resume normal activities, including getting wet...no need to confine them.
    That will just make things worse (no exercise, grass etc.)
    Amazingly the tape usually stays put and nobody messes with it.
    If it come loose just re-wrap.
    One week usually does the trick.
    If not re-wrap for another few days.
    Newbies: Use masking tape, papery medical tape or vet wrap
    but NOT duct tape! Talk about ripping feathers out if you use the later.
    Don't tape too tight.
    Good luck!

6. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Thanks for the replies, I had been searching for that video! I had seen it once before but couldnt find it again. I will re-wrap it in the morning so that the tip is tucked in better.

7. aineheartsyou

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I have re-wrapped his wings just as the video described but now he is just letting them hang??? [​IMG] Are they just too heavy? Should I wrap around his body to keep them close to his body?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

We use lightweight surgical tape called micropore for wing problems. The tape being about an inch wide and comes off a little easier so the feathers are not pulled out.. Tape from the top of the wing nearer to the body and as Cottage Rose said fold the primaries UNDER the secondary feathers. Then run the tape at an angle from the top edge of the wing towards the primaries of the folded wing. Usually best done with two people, one to hold the gosling and keep the wing in the 'normal folded' position. The other person then tapes the wing from the top under the primaries and then under to meet the start of the tape.

Leave it on for a week then remove to assess progress. Re-tape if required. The aim is to tape the wings into normal folded postion.

Best of luck

Pete [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    cut your protein levels with their feed. feed extra dark green veggies and it should go away very soon....

10. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Its not wrapped right. It needs to be wrapped around the wing tip first then it gets wrapped to the upper wing that connects to the body. Id rewrap it again making sure it tucks up and under in the normal position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by