Angel Wing Treatment

IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
Im not sure I did this correctly, was just trying to get something on to stay. Hopefully it will stay on long enough to do some good. I did the wing alone first. Then added another piece around the body under the other wing. My first try at it, so please let me know if I did anything that looks wrong or hurtful.
View attachment 1477583 View attachment 1477584 View attachment 1477585
I did this...

Looks great, but no swimming while wrapped.

Hmmm I put him back out with the others. He doesn’t swim as much as the others do, I actually wondered if that has contributed to the angel wing, or been the result of the angel wing. But i won’t be able to keep him from swimming unless I lock him up.

Speaking of Angel wing. . the one I had fixed partially last summer finally lost her flight feathers in molt. One side I had corrected almost perfectly is now sticking out as again as if I never done anything. :barnie
The other side I give up on and it was only slightly out of place. . ya. Both sides are growing back in Angel winged. Frustrating! I'm not even going to bother trying to fix it. She is here to stay so she can just be special.

Hmmm I put him back out with the others. He doesn’t swim as much as the others do, I actually wondered if that has contributed to the angel wing, or been the result of the angel wing. But i won’t be able to keep him from swimming unless I lock him up.
I wouldn't think less swimming would be the cause of it. . but :idunno
I had to keep mine away from water since it was wrapped on both sides with a stocking over it. But I would still worry it might drown even if it was just one wing. . . but I worry like that :gig

I've noticed a lot of discussion about angel wing in ducks lately and after having just dealt with it for the first time myself, I wanted to try to help others if possible. Now let me reiterate that I've only dealt with it just recently in two of my ducklings. I did not invent the method, but was instead following this video. It is also not the only way of dealing with it since every duck and owner are different, and what works for one person might not work for another. Still, if there are any questions and/or suggestions, feel free to post them. Sharing your experiences here may help others who are looking for answers!

What Is Angel Wing?
Angel wing is essentially when the flight feathers of the young bird develop faster than the muscles that usually hold them up. When the muscles can't take the sudden weight, the wing droops, causing the carpal bones to twist outward. This can then become permanent if not treated properly. It is not a death sentence, but it does prevent them from ever flying, and poses a high risk of catching on things. It's simple to fix, so there's no reason not to.

What Causes It?
All we have are theories at this point. The most common is that a diet too high in protein is to blame, causing them to grow too quickly. Another possibility is genetics. What we do know is that it seems to afflict the left wing the most.

P.S. My apologies on the poor video quality! My sister was kind enough to record it using her phone and I had to edit out sections where my ducklings decided that they no longer wanted to be involved, evidenced by my Saxony stress panting at the end. Maybe someday I'll redo it.
:oops:

Thank you! :)

Speaking of Angel wing. . the one I had fixed partially last summer finally lost her flight feathers in molt. One side I had corrected almost perfectly is now sticking out as again as if I never done anything. :barnie
The other side I give up on and it was only slightly out of place. . ya. Both sides are growing back in Angel winged. Frustrating! I'm not even going to bother trying to fix it. She is here to stay so she can just be special.
I just realised I never came back here to update!
After her flights grew back in a bit longer and heavier they started to lay back down where they belonged.
I did go ahead and use this wrapping method on The side that was not fully corrected originally and it worked!!
Her flights do not criss cross each other like the other ducks do, but they don't stick out from her body and get all messed up anymore so I call it a win.
CollageMaker Plus_2018812163444702.png

Hey guys, does anyone know if it is possible for older birds to get angel wing while regrowing feathers after a molt. I have a four year old goose who’s feathers are coming in a little weird looking this year but wasn’t sure if angel wing is even a possibility once they are grown.

Back
Top Bottom