Angel Wing Treatment

What great timing. Thank you for the video! I logged on today to post a picture of my 6 week old duckling. I think this is the early sign of angel wing but I don't know for sure. Before I do anything can anyone confirm this?
I'm feeding Purina life cycle for ducks. It has 19 percent protein. I also give them kale, (daily) cucumbers, peas, and a small amount of watermelon a few days a week for extra treat, or some grapes. But those are small amounts. No other starches at all.

Should I be doing anything else?

Attachments

• 20200731_111239.jpg
    20200731_111239.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 31
Here's a tip for "wrapping" for angel wing, don't wrap. I tried this with a Gosling and it worked nuch better that wrapping. Faster, less stressful, and cheaper.

If you don't have the appropriate clothing go to Goodwill and pick up a small or medium long sleeved shirt in a plain stretch cotton. Cotton dance leggings will also work. Size will depend on the size of your bird. Cut off a sleeve or leg at about the point where the knee or elbow would be. Slip the resulting tube over the bird's head big end first. Adjust and position both wings in place, then tug the fabric back over the birds body. If the fit needs adjusting mark the fabric with chalk or a nontoxic marker, remove it, trim the excess material and put your bird's new tube top back on.

I leave it on five days and then check the wing. Watch for overheating if you're worried the fabric might be too heavy. Not a problem with most cottons as they're used because they breath. Machine washable, reusable, and while the gosling tries to groom it, he doesn't pick at it nearly as much as a wrapping.

Comments?

Here's a tip for "wrapping" for angel wing, don't wrap. I tried this with a Gosling and it worked nuch better that wrapping. Faster, less stressful, and cheaper.

If you don't have the appropriate clothing go to Goodwill and pick up a small or medium long sleeved shirt in a plain stretch cotton. Cotton dance leggings will also work. Size will depend on the size of your bird. Cut off a sleeve or leg at about the point where the knee or elbow would be. Slip the resulting tube over the bird's head big end first. Adjust and position both wings in place, then tug the fabric back over the birds body. If the fit needs adjusting mark the fabric with chalk or a nontoxic marker, remove it, trim the excess material and put your bird's new tube top back on.

I leave it on five days and then check the wing. Watch for overheating if you're worried the fabric might be too heavy. Not a problem with most cottons as they're used because they breath. Machine washable, reusable, and while the gosling tries to groom it, he doesn't pick at it nearly as much as a wrapping.

Comments?
That is one way to do it and I believe it would work if...
The fit was perfect.
I tried this with my call duck and stockings and it was just a disaster. Too loose and she could get it right off. Tightened it up and she was in obvious distress not being able to breathe well.
When I finally got it just right... I found when I took it off that she was able to move her wing under that wrap and the wing tip ended up not being tucked under where it belonged.
I have found nothing any easier than wrapping the wings individually like this video shows. You don't have to put anything around their body so one person can hold the bird while you wrap up the wing. The only thing I do different is I just go ahead and use medical tape that way they can't get it off easily.

On my last attempt, (we tried about 4 times) I wrapped the wing and put a cotton stretch tube over. But she somehow got the wrapping off under the tube. I ended up removing the tube because she couldn't walk in it. Funny thing is, the wing stayed in place after that. Like the other times it was only wrapped for about an hour or so. Maybe because we caught it early that little bit helped? It's a mystery to me! We're watching it closely to be sure. I feel like we got so lucky!

I just got home from a 2 day trip and my Muscovy looks like she has angel wings. Are hers fixable? How long should I leave wrap on? Thanks!

Attachments

• 362B71E3-264D-4664-AC57-674D32F668A3.jpeg
    362B71E3-264D-4664-AC57-674D32F668A3.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 22
I just got home from a 2 day trip and my Muscovy looks like she has angel wings. Are hers fixable? How long should I leave wrap on? Thanks!
Looks fixable to me. It could take 4-5 days to correct...but
I would personally only leave the wrap on for 24-48 hours at a time.
usually you'll need to take it off and rewrap due to them getting it loose and filthy. when you get ready to change it, let it air out for a bit, give the duck a chance to swim and clean up since you will want to keep them away from swimming water while they have their wings wrapped like that.
That will give you an opportunity to see if any progress is being made and let some air get to the wing.
Sometimes you can see pretty good results in just the first 24 hours.

Looks fixable to me. It could take 4-5 days to correct...but
I would personally only leave the wrap on for 24-48 hours at a time.
usually you'll need to take it off and rewrap due to them getting it loose and filthy. when you get ready to change it, let it air out for a bit, give the duck a chance to swim and clean up since you will want to keep them away from swimming water while they have their wings wrapped like that.
That will give you an opportunity to see if any progress is being made and let some air get to the wing.
Sometimes you can see pretty good results in just the first 24 hours.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!!

Back
Top Bottom