Angel Wing Treatment

Attachments

• ACE707DF-517C-407D-B2AA-FC96BD210A92.jpeg
    ACE707DF-517C-407D-B2AA-FC96BD210A92.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 39
Hi all, I can't tell if this is Angel Wing on my favorite Black Swedish, Glitter. I just noticed in the last 3-4 days that her left wing doesn't lie flat. She is just about 2 months, hatched on August 23rd, and eating an 18% duck pellet cut in half with oats. It doesn't seem to bothering her. It was hard to get a picture because she is always moving but I wonder if the feathers themselves look a little wavy compared to her other wing and to her sister's?
If it is Angel Wing, is she too old to wrap it?
Thanks so much, this is our first time with ducklings and they are keeping us on our toes!

Attachments

• IMG-8422.JPG
    IMG-8422.JPG
    832 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-8424.JPG
    IMG-8424.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG-8423.JPG
    IMG-8423.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 30
I've noticed a lot of discussion about angel wing in ducks lately and after having just dealt with it for the first time myself, I wanted to try to help others if possible. Now let me reiterate that I've only dealt with it just recently in two of my ducklings. I did not invent the method, but was instead following this video. It is also not the only way of dealing with it since every duck and owner are different, and what works for one person might not work for another. Still, if there are any questions and/or suggestions, feel free to post them. Sharing your experiences here may help others who are looking for answers!

What Is Angel Wing?
Angel wing is essentially when the flight feathers of the young bird develop faster than the muscles that usually hold them up. When the muscles can't take the sudden weight, the wing droops, causing the carpal bones to twist outward. This can then become permanent if not treated properly. It is not a death sentence, but it does prevent them from ever flying, and poses a high risk of catching on things. It's simple to fix, so there's no reason not to.

What Causes It?
All we have are theories at this point. The most common is that a diet too high in protein is to blame, causing them to grow too quickly. Another possibility is genetics. What we do know is that it seems to afflict the left wing the most.

P.S. My apologies on the poor video quality! My sister was kind enough to record it using her phone and I had to edit out sections where my ducklings decided that they no longer wanted to be involved, evidenced by my Saxony stress panting at the end. Maybe someday I'll redo it.
:oops:

WOW! very interesting read thankyou! does this by chance happen to chickens OR is it just something that happens to ducks?
love the video as well :)

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, I think that happened to our precious Anka. It never got that bad, and it ended up going away, but I noticed it as she was growing. I had NO idea that is was something that could get worse. Thank you for this info.

1605647704961.png

Oh my gosh, I think that happened to our precious Anka. It never got that bad, and it ended up going away, but I noticed it as she was growing. I had NO idea that is was something that could get worse. Thank you for this info.

View attachment 2414892
What you are seeing there is pretty normal as they start growing their flight feathers in, they are heavy at first and sometimes are heavy and will just droop down like that. After they grow out they are able to hold them up where they belong.
With true angel wing the wing tip is kind of bent out at the joint. It really cannot self correct.

Purina makes a duck pellet our ducks are on it year round now finally a feed they dont waste or make paste out of. the only supplement they need is oyster shell when there laying. oh and there favorite mud pie in the yard. and it covers the special things ducks need like Niacin.

Back
Top Bottom