Angel wing wrap?

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi. Today I noticed that my male duckling (about 8 weeks) had his wing feathers sticking out. I immediately thought it was angel wing. The only kind of wrap I had was gauze bandage. I wrapped that around both wings and secured it with medical tape. He doesn't like the wrap on him. Is that normal? Also, I'm wondering how tight the wrap should be. I'm worried I wrapped it too tight???? I bet in the morning the wrap will be off, but it is better than nothing for tonight. I'm going to buy better wrap tomorrow. What causes angel wing and could they die from it? Thanks!

He just got one wing out, so I know it's not too tight! I'll just leave it and rewrap it tomorrow. Would it be okay until tomorrow morning?

I got the wrap. How long should I keep it on him. I have a feeling he'll get it off, but I'll rewrap it. It's the kind that is stretchy and tan and has the sharp clips to hold it.

Please! Anyone?!?
I wasn't able to find the thread right off but not too long ago someone posted about their Pekin having the beginning of angel wing and they used a ladies stocking cut down and slipped it over the duck like a body stocking it worked after 2 weeks no more angel wing. It won't kill them and it's sometimes from feeding too much protein but they are leaning more to genetics now. found it... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help/30 post 33 I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks! Well the stocking is a good idea! I think I'm just going to keep the wrap he has on him on for now, since he's getting a bit used to it. How long should I keep the wrap on him? 2 weeks?

Since he is already 8 weeks old, you might have to have it on for two weeks........

Just check it every so often. Of course, he will probably manage to unwrap it every so often, and just see if it is still sticking out.

If it is still sticking out, rewrap it. :). Super scientific huh? :rolleyes:

I read one person liked using human medical tape.

I just had to wrap for angel wing on a turkey, and I used vet wrap, which did NOT work very well.

Last edited:
He got one of the sharp clips off of his wrap the other day. I looked and looked everywhere in their cage, but couldn't find it. The next day (yesterday) he got his wrap off. I left it off (for now) but I don't know if I should wrap it again. His wings aren't sticking out, but they're drooping! What do I do now?

He got one of the sharp clips off of his wrap the other day. I looked and looked everywhere in their cage, but couldn't find it. The next day (yesterday) he got his wrap off. I left it off (for now) but I don't know if I should wrap it again. His wings aren't sticking out, but they're drooping! What do I do now?
If he's getting in his flight feathers full of blood that's most likely why his wings are droopy, they go through a period where they will droop then they bring them back up to normal position, their wings are getting accustomed to the heavy blood feathers. You can try the body stocking made out of a woman's stocking just make sure wings are always in normal position. I hope one of them didn't eat the clip.

Back
Top Bottom