Angel wing

EngeFamilyFarms

Chirping
Aug 29, 2018
Michigan
BC6F73E3-3736-4656-94E0-56308EBAD245.jpeg
5238BB67-0D18-4A5B-BA41-596D5DF9DEA7.jpeg
53174588-D8BC-4BCB-9C80-63F6B8ED6671.jpeg
I have a turkey that has half of each wing sticking out. Does this look like angel wing? Possibly an injury?

Hmmmmm. Several of my baby poults have wings sticking out in a direction I don't think they should be! They seem to be doing okay though, active and eating and drinking. Will they grow up ok?

I used to fish on a pond and there was a Canada Goose with what I thought was a deformed wing.
I phoned the RSPCA about it, luckily a few days later I was fishing there again when this young lady arrived with a big net to catch the Goose.
It fled on to the water so she didn't catch it, I asked if she caught it would you treat it to get it's wing back to normal or something?
She replied, "If I catch it we will put it down," she said it had Angel Wing so that would be the best thing to do because it would never fly.
well she came back a few days later and again she didn't catch it, to be honest I was glad, so after that I christened the goose 'Angel Wing' and a few more of the anglers caught on to the name and they too referred to it as Angel Wing.
Well to cut the story short AW survived the winter, the other geese had flown off but she stayed on the pond as she couldn't join them, but the next year she adopted a young goose who seemed to have been abandoned by it's parents or they were killed.
The pair of them swam about together, when the young goose got bigger it used to fly off but always came back a few hours later, AW made a big fuss on it's return making a right racket.
I left that angling club that year so I don't know if AW is still alive or not, I hope he/she is.

Col.

Hmmmmm. Several of my baby poults have wings sticking out in a direction I don't think they should be! They seem to be doing okay though, active and eating and drinking. Will they grow up ok?
At least one person made the observation that poults that had wings like that turned out to be toms. It was fairly common among any Bourbon Red poults that I raised and in my limited observation of them, those did turn out to be toms. I never saw it in the Slate poults that I have raised.

It isn't really angel wing like the ducks and geese can get and all of the poults that I had that were like that grew out of it and were fine.

This story reminded me of another time when I was fishing by a large pond, this pond had a few wild foul on it.
This particular day the spot I was fishing from had a hill behind me that belonged to the farmer, there was a Canada Goose pecking away on the grass of the hill, then all of a sudden it let out a honking racket and took to the air.
It flew a few feet over my head and went straight to the corner of the pond, that's when I saw what it was about.
There was another Goose on the nest and a fox was right by it, the Goose that flew over and landed in front of the fox and spread it's wings to look bigger, still making this racket.
It challenged the fox which turned and ran, the gander who was on the nest never moved, I'm guessing she had chicks and possibly made a noise the goose behind me to hear, it was a great site to see.

Col.

Back
Top Bottom