Angel wing

If you can find a vet that will see them blood work will tell if there is a deficiency. I can’t really say if they have rickets, but that wide stance is a little unusual. I had one gosling that was a bit like that and he turned into my biggest gander so maybe it’s a growth thing, but I don’t remember my gander Helios standing with his feet that far spaced.
Ok thank you. His hip issue looks like the same thing my gosling Toby had almost a year ago. He passed away at 5 weeks old though. Could never figure out what it was. So I’m concerned. Going to try to find an avian vet.

Just reading through here
My friend raises geese and had always told me her geese herd more niacin then the ducks
Ducks I give 1 tbs to 1cup feed
You are doing only 1/2 tbs ?
I would up the amount of nutritional yeast to at least eggs ducks get it not more ( 1.5 tbs to 1 cup feed ) as they are bigger then ducklings
I do my ducks till week 12 but still sprinkle it on feed as adults I just don’t measure at that point
With a duckling with niacin issues you also start them on durvet vitamin B complex
It says injectable for cattle but birds get it orally 1ml for ducks
My adult birds are about 4.5 - 5 pounds and get 1 ml
That may help for amount you should give
I do it by syringe but my birds are good at letting me give meds that way. If he isn’t then put over a small treat
Niacin issues take weeks to see improvements but it needs to be consistent

How is your gosling today?
He’s ok
I think I found a vet but was on hold so long and didn’t get chance to call back. I ran out of vet wrap so going to get more. I watched a few videos plus link on wrapping. One showed just wrapping the wings and the others showed wings plus body. I was leaning on the one with the wings stabilized against the body figuring it would be better. Do you think it matters?

He’s ok
I think I found a vet but was on hold so long and didn’t get chance to call back. I ran out of vet wrap so going to get more. I watched a few videos plus link on wrapping. One showed just wrapping the wings and the others showed wings plus body. I was leaning on the one with the wings stabilized against the body figuring it would be better. Do you think it matters?
When one of mine had angel wing (my little girl Tuesday) I wrapped just the wing and it did the trick, wrapping it with the body will probably give it more stability but it isn’t always necessary.
Keep in mind it usually doesn’t take too long to correct, usually 3 or 4 days. You can also remove the wraps at night.

If you can’t get find a vet don’t feel too bad, it really isn’t surprising, only avian/exotic vets will see birds and even among them not all of them will see “poultry.”

Now if rickets is the issue you should probably get some vitamin D3, it could be a calcium or phosphorus deficiency but usually with rickets it is usually a deficiency in D3. You can keep giving B vitamins but it really won’t help with rickets because that isn't the cause.

Something important to remember, vitamins like the Bs and C are water soluble, so overdoseing on them isn’t really much of a worry, even if you take/give to much the excess gets filtered out of the body quickly.
However vitamins like D and calcium are NOT water soluble and it’s harder for the organs to filter them out and they can build up in the blood stream and cause serious health problems. I’m not really sure what the appropriate amount is to give to a gosling, hence why I though it would be a good idea for a vet to determine if there is a deficiency or not first.

Some foods are good sources of D3, phosphorus, and calcium.

Cooked soybeans, egg yolk, spinach, and kale.
Spinach and kale have oxalic acid which is an anti nutrient however, it basically absorbed up vitamins, so it shouldn’t be fed with every meal, as long as you don’t feed it to them constantly they’re excellent for their health.

When one of mine had angel wing (my little girl Tuesday) I wrapped just the wing and it did the trick, wrapping it with the body will probably give it more stability but it isn’t always necessary.
Keep in mind it usually doesn’t take too long to correct, usually 3 or 4 days. You can also remove the wraps at night.

If you can’t get find a vet don’t feel too bad, it really isn’t surprising, only avian/exotic vets will see birds and even among them not all of them will see “poultry.”

Now if rickets is the issue you should probably get some vitamin D3, it could be a calcium or phosphorus deficiency but usually with rickets it is usually a deficiency in D3. You can keep giving B vitamins but it really won’t help with rickets because that isn't the cause.

Something important to remember, vitamins like the Bs and C are water soluble, so overdoseing on them isn’t really much of a worry, even if you take/give to much the excess gets filtered out of the body quickly.
However vitamins like D and calcium are NOT water soluble and it’s harder for the organs to filter them out and they can build up in the blood stream and cause serious health problems. I’m not really sure what the appropriate amount is to give to a gosling, hence why I though it would be a good idea for a vet to determine if there is a deficiency or not first.
The pics and videos looked a little confusing with the wrapping and how to position wings so I hope I don’t do it wrong and make it worse. I will try just wrapping wings first and see how that goes. As for vet I called one that had some drs that specialized in birds and the cost was outrageous. I’m going to call the other one tomorrow. With the info you have given me I’m trying to break down what to do with us not really sure what’s going on. You say egg yolk do u mean raw or cooked? I can do that and the spinach easily. What exactly do you mean with the vit b3? Sorry for all the questions.
i wouldn’t advise that method because goslings like to pull them off. Some are better at it than others though.

Raw
The pics and videos looked a little confusing with the wrapping and how to position wings so I hope I don’t do it wrong and make it worse. I will try just wrapping wings first and see how that goes. As for vet I called one that had some drs that specialized in birds and the cost was outrageous. I’m going to call the other one tomorrow. With the info you have given me I’m trying to break down what to do with us not really sure what’s going on. You say egg yolk do u mean raw or cooked? I can do that and the spinach easily. What exactly do you mean with the vit b3? Sorry for all the questions.
raw egg yolk is more nutritious but it has the risk of transmitting salmonella, so the choice is up to you.

It’s vitamin D3, deficiency in D3 can cause rickets, though as I said I don’t know if that’s what your gosling has. Vitamin D3 isn’t water soluble so it’s possible to overdose on it so be carful with how much you give to the gosling.

Back
Top Bottom