Animal Control visited me today, of all days!

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
So, some of you may not know that I am disabled. I have a form of autonomic dysfunction that keeps me pretty much homebound and inpacts everything that I do.

Today, the animal control officer visited my backyard. He said that I was in compliance with all current ordinances, but let me know that it is pretty much a done deal that the city council will be voting to limit chickens to 4. The situation has upset me, and unfortunately my tenuous physical balance enough that I won't be able to go to the meeting and speak to the issue.

Update to what I was just posting: I just found out that it is a neighbor who used to be a friendly neighbor who complained. (She didn't know that I was back at my house after being away for a few years due to my disability) She is afraid that my chickens will bring racoons out of the hills to eat the coi from her coi ponds. (Here is a thought, I wonder if she has more than 4 coi????). If Racoons do come out of the hills, who is to say that it is the chickens bringing them, and not the feral kittens everywhere, or the cat food that someone (possibly her) is feeding to them in the alley.

Why do her rights to keep coi trump my right to keep my (at this point legal) chickens. But the council is finding every reason in the book to do this. I keep getting suppose this, suppose that. Suppose your chickens get out and cause an accident. Suppose a neighborhood dog attacks your chickens... Who is liable. Suppose a level 3 sex offender wants his right to be annonomous. What do these suppositions have to do with the situation as it is right now. 10 of us known to have chickens in the entire town. Probably another 10-15 keeping them underground.

Anyway. I wish that I could make it to the meeting, and once there have the where with all to say these things. But now I am just simply too sick to do it.
hit.gif
So I will likely lose my chickens. Well most of them anyway.

Quote:
I am sorry this is happing to you, I know what that feels like, we just lost our rights to a permit, becouse the same thing the neibor kept saying waht about this what about that, who will know if they end up with 500 chickens.
But though both our neighbors has flower and tree farms, and all you here is tractors and stuff like that, And one neighbor has Laimas.
And one has a motor cycle, I have nothing against any of these, but if they are used to all of that what was there promblem.
Grumpy neighbors who has nothing better to do with there lives.

Okay you need a little help on this one.

May I suggest the following....You are welcome to pick and choose as you see fit:

Get in touch with Andy - chicken whisperer http://www.meetup.com/chickens/members/7098800/

Get
in touch with your disabilities community .....there is probably a statewide group for advocacy. In Georgia it's the DD Council with a wide advocacy network.

Strategize....If you are too ill to get there, Ask someone to read in your behalf.....Or to tape and play your own presentation.

Involve the media.

If you love your chickens and it sounds like you do.....Fight for them but bring in the troups....If I can help research for you, I definitely will, but these are my best ideas at present.

Good luck and cheer up.....It's never a done deal.....You probably have a lot of fans and supporters....Put a note out on the Washington's board for help!!!!!

Be blessed and be a blessing.

I agree. They should get some chickens.... After a few nights of chicken TV, maybe it will make them laugh the grump right out of them.... I do think she felt a little bit bad when she found out it was me and not some nameless faceless new neighbor. Funny thing is that I have been there for about 2 years now... And it is the chickens that are responsible for getting me out of the house and happy enough that the neighbors are noticing that someone is acutally living there again.

I can't stop crying now. Partly because I don't want to lose my chickens. Partly because I know if I am limited to 4 hens only I will go back to being useless and unhappy again. Flock management things are what has made the difference. Not a few hens, not eggs. People just don't understand how that symbiosis of you and the flock puts meaning into your life. And it becomes a spiritual thing. I have never felt closer to my higher power (as I understand that to mean) than I do now. But if you try to explain that to people while you are fighting city hall, it sounds like an excuse to get your way. Many of you chicken people know what I mean though.

Quote:
Meeting is in 2 hours. I just don't think there is time. And I don't know how to organize myself to do it all.

Just ranting on like this works because nobody is interupting me. My focus goes as soon as I have to interact. It is hard to explain, but it is sort of like ADHD for me. Any distraction and I simply shut down.

If there are laws already on the books where you are then are you following them? If so, then in my view if they change it, you should be grandfathered in. I hope the best for you!

I wonder if you could attend the meeting by phone some how. I know at the very least, I would be writing a letter to the editor.

If there are laws already on the books where you are then are you following them? If so, then in my view if they change it, you should be grandfathered in. I hope the best for you!

I was just about to say the same thing. They can't force you to get rid of any chickens you already have. You have to be grandfathered in!​

I just went out to the chicken whisperer and I can't even figure out how to post on there. I can do it here now because I have for so long that I get it.... Although, I just hit the report instead of the quote on someone..... Hope they don't get in trouble. I don't think they did anything wrong.

I think what I can do at this point is gorge myself on the hamburger and fries + huge Peanutbutter shake that my mom said she will drop off for me. At this point I don't even care about the fall out from the huge amount of fat and carbs.

I am just going to wrap up on a nice warm blanket and watch some chicken TV until they come to haul them away.

Maybe tomorrow I can wrap my head around what I really need to do. Please leave me advise. I will check in again later tonight or when I next feel like I have some fight in me. Chicken TV and a long sleep in the bathtub are on the agenda for tonight I think.

Back
Top Bottom