Animal Cruelty Case--Not Guilty Verdict: Protecting Livestock

I'm glad it turned out all right. It's too bad it had to go to trial in the first place. Maybe this will help the next person when it comes up again.

They can talk about the clash between suburban sprawl and agricultural areas, but nobody in the suburbs wants dogs running loose killing their pet cats, yippy little dogs or rabbits in hutches, either.

Before I moved to Alabama, free roaming dogs were virtually unheard of. I lived in suburban NY and dogs were either behind a fence or on a leash, period. If we saw a roaming dog, it was a big deal: someone's pet must have escaped. Down here, I've come to recognize the "repeat offenders" on my street who are always wandering our rural road. It infuriates me. I've come across SO many dead dogs hit by cars on the roadside, and I hear constant stories about dogs being shot when they attack livestock. I just don't get how anyone could allow their dog to roam and still profess to care about it.

good stuff... where I am your dogs do not need to attack any l/stock, they only need to present a threat (worrying) your stock for you to be able to put a bullet in it... and if there's any damages to your l/stock or property you can get the owner for the costs....

I wish I had a nickel for every loose dog I see running around here.

One neighbor's dog got loose a couple of times, the 2nd time killed a chicken. I can't be mad at her, she's a nice dog and just doing what she's bred for. The neighbor's a nice guy too, but there's a real mismatch between the dog and him, he's a poor trainer/master. So, when the dog's loose or I think it might be loose, I go out to the front of the place, because she'll run right to me. Well, the 2nd time, I told the guy it was going to cost him $20 a chicken, and there hasn't been a problem since. Once it hits people in the wallet, it's amazing how their behaviors can change. And the $20's light, if I took the dog to the shelter it'd cost him even more to bail her out and he knows it.

What helped this guy in the case was the established "paper trail" that the dogs were problem dogs. Of course the law itself and the fact that the dogs were on his property should have been enough.

There are so many loose dogs where I am that I'm glad I have a big dog in the yard to help guard my chickens. And the fact that I've chased a couple of them with long handled garden tools only helps. Most of these dogs are badly socialized and aggressive toward people that they don't know. And for some reason they're owners can't seem to keep track of them or they let them roam. There's a few that I don't mind such as a local newfie and golden who like people and kids and don't bother chickens or turn over trash cans, or Kate, the neighbors spaniel, she's never on a leash but she never leaves her owner's property and she's a little scared of chickens I think. But they're are enough wild predators that we don't need to add dogs on top of it.

I'm glad it went in this man's favor. Being a law enforcement officer I can't believe they actually arrested the man for it!! Or that they had a grand jury indictment!! That's the crazy part!!
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
It's called, the people are out at jobs all day, don't know their neighbors, hardly know their family or dogs. The dogs are neurotic because in a normal pack, a pack member, esp. leader, isn't gone most of the time.

Sadly as a long time pet groomer I agree. They get dog even if they know they dont have the time for them. Then they want to know why they cant do anything with the dog. DUH, because your own dog knows the neighbors better than you.

Back
Top Bottom