animal protein chicken feed

Just out of curiosity and since others were looking for animal-protein based feeds to use as a supplement, I came across what appears to be a high level of animal protein feed (for dogs) and is $$$. Canidae feeds. There are 4 choices.

View attachment 1982401

The info below is from the dry FISH formula:

View attachment 1982402 View attachment 1982403

So, primarily animal protein. Salt and Ca levels? Are Garbanzo beans ok for chickens? :idunno

The cheapest price is for a 20# bag, which costs approx $80, but is available in smaller bag sizes.

A bag of fish meal (62% protein) in landlocked north central Texas is $60.00. A bag of floating catfish feed pellets (32% protein) is roughly half that so there is really no price advantage. However the catfish feed is a more balanced feed.

Animal protein is expensive but it doesn't have to break the bank. Very little is needed to balance out a plant based protein ration.

Attachments

• 20190628_092148.jpg
    20190628_092148.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 8
The cheapest price is for a 20# bag, which costs approx $80, but is available in smaller bag sizes.

$80 a bag for dog kibble! I thought the stuff I was buying was already too expensive, but that really is a lot!

My poor deprived chickens will have to catch their own salmon too.

Actually if I let my chickens out, they *could* catch their own wild salmon :lol:... we get at least one beached salmon each season, pretty hard to convince my dogs to not chow down on it.

Readily available from most feed stores. Always read the label. I mix my own custom feed ration and include this. Adult birds will eat it like corn once they recognize it as food. I had to withhold hold their regular food for a day or two and get them hungry and once they learned it was food they would jump on it. View attachment 1981842 View attachment 1981843

You will not find a wholly based animal protein poultry feed on the market. It is just too expensive. My poultry ration is based on USDA poultry formulas from circa 1910-1920. They contained animal protein but first protein listed is plant. Once consumed protein is protein. The only reason animal protein is considered superior is because it contains essential amino acids that are naturally absent or severely deficient in plant proteins.

Fairview, what brand of fish food is this? Purina? I like that it's got pork!

I think you found the top of the high-end market! The Victor Yukon Salmon based feed is very good, 33% protein, and a bit less costly. With that or the one you found, indeed it doesn't take much to boost protein and amino acids.

Just out of curiosity and since others were looking for animal-protein based feeds to use as a supplement, I came across what appears to be a high level of animal protein feed (for dogs) and is $$$. Canidae feeds. There are 4 choices.

View attachment 1982401

The info below is from the dry FISH formula:

View attachment 1982402 View attachment 1982403

So, primarily animal protein. Salt and Ca levels? Are Garbanzo beans ok for chickens? :idunno

Dumor is a TSC brand, made for them by Purina, and there's almost no info on the TSC site and none anywhere else. And I believe Producer's Pride is a TSC brand too. On such store brands, the only info is at the contractor's: TSC. Or not.

Back
Top Bottom