animal protein chicken feed

15757355900561105579047589299809.jpg

A commercial variant I will be using shortly has limited amounts of animal protein coming from pork.
https://www.bigvfeeds.com/products/game-chicken-feeds/game-cock-maintenance-feed-(black-rooster)
Protein level of such a feed is likely low for birds in sustained lay or are fast growers. For chickens like my games, nutrient levels are spot on.

I am also one that will include a high protein fish feed or fish meal to mixes I make. I use feeds formulated for trout or carnivorous fish as they tend to have more fishmeal in them. Keep the fish feed in a cooler dryer place than used for chicken feeds.

That game cock feed looks good for those birds, not for many others though. And the Producer's Pride layer has lower protein and fat, and higher fiber, than I want to feed here.
Mary

That game cock feed looks good for those birds, not for many others though. And the Producer's Pride layer has lower protein and fat, and higher fiber, than I want to feed here.
Mary
For mature birds not in production, the feed would work well. A large portion of backyard birds are not production birds which includes all adult roosters.

Keep the fish feed in a cooler dryer place than used for chicken feeds.
Wondering if storage/spoilage issues are why most chook feed does not contain animal protein?

Prince had an all flock formulation that has animal protein in it,
was able to try a few bags but it became unavailable.

Wondering if storage/spoilage issues are why most chook feed does not contain animal protein?

It is mostly about cost. Fishmeal cost a lot more than the grain-based alternatives. In some situations it may also involve impacts on egg flavor, but not all chickens have that issue.

In some situations it is also not preferred by most customers for the feed to contain animal products. That is clearly situation here even with most customers of the Missouri Farmers Association I interact with.

If spoilage is an issue, why wasn't it 15-30 years ago? Most feeds had it until 2004 & then feed companies started touting veg feed. Purina was big on this in 2004. It's all about the expense maybe & our society being nuts. Also with soy being cheap, the companies can make a bigger profit.

Back
Top Bottom