animal protein source

nipper75

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
NorthEast PA
since mostly all feeds sold in stores in "vegetarian", what can I give my girls as animal protein because chickens ARE carnivores????

thumbsup.gif

Chickens are omnivores, not carnivores ;)

Mealworms are an option. I give mine leftover meat. If we have a whole chicken or turkey, they eat the rest of the meat off the bones. Sounds crazy, but they love it, and it's not wasted.

Chickens are omnivores, not carnivores
wink.png

Mealworms are an option. I give mine leftover meat. If we have a whole chicken or turkey, they eat the rest of the meat off the bones. Sounds crazy, but they love it, and it's not wasted.
X2

Also fish, crickets and plain yogurt.
I found a supplier of fish meal and a high protein concentrate chicken feed to mix with ground grain that has both fish meal and pork meal.

I supplement protein with all the meat scraps from the kitchen, home made fat free yogurt, any cheese that is a trifle old for our taste, scrambled eggs (when I get an egg that's cracked or damaged, I cook it up for them), and cooked dried beans.

Some feeds have animal protein and some have soy protein. You might want to shop around and see what else is available if all you are seeing is soy. If the layer is soy you can also look into a grower, flock raiser or even a game bird feed. Look at what kind of protein and what percentage and decide what you want to feed. You can always provide calcium on the side.

since mostly all feeds sold in stores in "vegetarian", what can I give my girls as animal protein because chickens ARE carnivores????
You have a number of options,

Most game bird feed have animal proteins in it,
Floating Game Fish food is a excellent way to add animal proteins to a feed mix,
Table Scraps,
Meat and Bone Meal supplement,
Bill Jac Frozen Dog Food is great to supplement chickens with.,
Fish Meal

Chris

Some feeds have animal protein and some have soy protein. You might want to shop around and see what else is available if all you are seeing is soy. If the layer is soy you can also look into a grower, flock raiser or even a game bird feed. Look at what kind of protein and what percentage and decide what you want to feed. You can always provide calcium on the side.

Floating Game Fish food is a excellent way to add animal proteins to a feed mix,
Table Scraps,
Fish Meal

Chris

Table Scraps,
Fish Meal

Chris
the 2 that i have here are blue seal and southern states both of which have soy...is game, flock raiser, starter safe for laying hens? too much protein? ty

You can lower the overall protein intake by adding scratch grains. In summer I give oats (lower in energy) and in winter I give wheat, millet and sunflower for more energy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom