Anne Arundel County insanity

Well I started the process by contacting the councilmen and specifically the one for my area and was told specifically none of them had any interest now and in the future of passing chicken changes. I know I will not be voting for the moron in Glen Burnie, but this all not stop me. I'm looking into the way other areas have managed to et the changes done.

welcome-byc.gif
from Michigan!

Hello everyone, I am new here AND I also live in Anne Arundel County MD. I have been frustrated by the ridiculousness of the situtation for some time now, I am now ready to push for change. From what I have heard and read, Annapolis has just now allowed chickens and Baltimore City or County, can't remember which, has allowed them for some time now. To me that means that the most densely populated areas near us allow chickens, but on my 1/2 acre I am not allowed to have them. And on top of that Annapolis city is within AA Co and they allow it, however my city (Severn) is considered a Census Designated Place and therefore doesnt have its own representation. I have been trying to get info from representatives for the county but so far I have not been able to get a solid response. I would like to get these regulations changed as well, if you find the way to do it let me know, you'll have my support.

Hello, I live in Anne Arundel County as well! I am drafting a letter to send to my councilman today. You can PM me if you want and I can give you the specifics on what I'm doing! It would be great to have support, maybe you could write a letter to?

~Charis

Well I started the process by contacting the councilmen and specifically the one for my area and was told specifically none of them had any interest now and in the future of passing chicken changes. I know I will not be voting for the moron in Glen Burnie, but this all not stop me. I'm looking into the way other areas have managed to et the changes done.

Wow! They have no interest but it sure looks like the people of AA - who they are paid to represent - have an interest. I counted four of you from AA on this thread and I'm guessing there are lots of others out there.

I hope you all find a way of banding together and making yourselves heard loud and clear! Good luck and please keep us posted.

Good afternoon all! Please get the word out and write, call, completely bombard your AACO Councilmen!!

A new bill was introduced to ALLOW chickens in Anne Arundel County MD. This bill was introduced on September 16th 2013.

Basically, the bill will allow 4 chickens on a 10,000 SF lot and
8 chickens on a 20,000 SF lot. No roosters.
There are a few other minor changes and minimum coop size restrictions but they are looking to allow them.

It still seems that there isn't much hope for it to pass according to the two councilmen who introduced the bill but maybe we can change that if we rally the support!

Public TESTIMONY: October 21st at 7:00 (PM I assume)

They need 4 votes to pass. Hopefully the two councilmen introducing the legislation are onboard but we still need to convince at least two more

Link to proposed legislation:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ay5k0utnmsbl01/79 13 Chicken Legislation.pdf

Here is a link to the council districts in our county:
http://www.aacounty.org/Elections/CouncilMaps.cfm#.UjxvHBaTPJw
Districts 5 and 6 are the ones introducing the bill.

I will try to PM everyone on here that has mentioned living in AACO.

Good luck to us! I will do what I can but I really hope folks out there can really spread the word on all forms of social media and don't forget to physically contact your council members!!!

I thought I would revive this thread and check my understanding, or lack thereof, of the new AA County law.

Here's a link to the bill that was supposedly passed.

I don't know when it takes effect. Anyone else know?

http://www.aacounty.org/CountyCouncil/Resources/2013/79-13.pdf

They decided to require a license: $30 every three years. This is supposedly not to raise revenue, but to count how many people raise chickens. I think it's just what governments do by default. There doesn't seem to be anything on the county web site yet to apply for a license.

So, the old law seems to still apply. If you have 40,000 sqft (about 0.9 acres) or more, you can keep 32 chickens (including roosters) for every 40,000 sqft you have.

The new law says that you can keep 8 hens (no roos) on 20,000 sqft, or 4 hens (no roos) on 10,000 sqft.

The new law says that you cannot free-range your chickens on less than 40,000 sqft; they must be in a "secured enclosure". You can free range on 40,000 sqft -- but the yard must be fenced.

Coops must have 4 walls and a roof, so there goes a legislator who doesn't know when to stop writing deciding that an A-frame is not a good coop design.

Finally, with a lot size less that 40,000 sqft, the coop must be 25 feet from property boundaries and any dwelling, and with a lot size of 40,000 plus, the coop must be 50 feet from property boundaries but nothing is said about dwellings. My best shady spots are up near the back of my house, so that's kind of a bummer.

Anyway, it's a fine case of over-wrought legislation. If you have a small yard, and you can't free-range, and you need a 25-foot radius from all property lines and dwellings-- well, thanks for nothing!!!

I thought I would revive this thread and check my understanding, or lack thereof, of the new AA County law.

I don't know when it takes effect. Anyone else know?

They decided to require a license: $30 every three years. This is supposedly not to raise revenue, but to count how many people raise chickens. I think it's just what governments do by default. There doesn't seem to be anything on the county web site yet to apply for a license.

So, the old law seems to still apply. If you have 40,000 sqft (about 0.9 acres) or more, you can keep 32 chickens (including roosters) for every 40,000 sqft you have.

The new law says that you can keep 8 hens (no roos) on 20,000 sqft, or 4 hens (no roos) on 10,000 sqft.

The new law says that you cannot free-range your chickens on less than 40,000 sqft; they must be in a "secured enclosure". You can free range on 40,000 sqft -- but the yard must be fenced.

Coops must have 4 walls and a roof, so there goes a legislator who doesn't know when to stop writing deciding that an A-frame is not a good coop design.

Finally, with a lot size less that 40,000 sqft, the coop must be 25 feet from property boundaries and any dwelling, and with a lot size of 40,000 plus, the coop must be 50 feet from property boundaries but nothing is said about dwellings. My best shady spots are up near the back of my house, so that's kind of a bummer.

Anyway, it's a fine case of over-wrought legislation. If you have a small yard, and you can't free-range, and you need a 25-foot radius from all property lines and dwellings-- well, thanks for nothing!!!

Back
Top Bottom