Announcement FYI Hatchery Updates

Melky

Spring has sprung!
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
I just thought I would put this out here to let those who purchase from hatcheries know some responsiveness of Hatchery to consumer concerns. Meyer Hatchery is one near me and in response to so many questions regarding breed and sex updated their practice to mark males with legband for $6, have 100% gender accuracy policy, rare breeds come with legband ID, and hatching eggs are stamped with breed code. Breed labeling is free service. They also decreased minimums for winter for purchase. Check out your local hatcheries policies and make sure you are getting the service you want from them. Since there are so many breed sex questions on BYC I just want to make everyone aware of services available to prevent doubt in future especially when buying strait runs or an assortment. Kudos to Meyers for responding to consumer demands on labeling.

I just thought I would put this out here to let those who purchase from hatcheries know some responsiveness of Hatchery to consumer concerns. Meyer Hatchery is one near me and in response to so many questions regarding breed and sex updated their practice to mark males with legband for $6, have 100% gender accuracy policy, rare breeds come with legband ID, and hatching eggs are stamped with breed code. Breed labeling is free service. They also decreased minimums for winter for purchase. Check out your local hatcheries policies and make sure you are getting the service you want from them. Since there are so many breed sex questions on BYC I just want to make everyone aware of services available to prevent doubt in future especially when buying strait runs or an assortment. Kudos to Meyers for responding to consumer demands on labeling.

So, I was recently on Meyer site bc am still trying to determine sex on one and breed/sex on another of some bargain bin chicks we purchased at their store. I didn't notice the new gender policy. Is it that they are guaranteeing 100% sexing on ALL their chicks? If so, that is great.

So, I was recently on Meyer site bc am still trying to determine sex on one and breed/sex on another of some bargain bin chicks we purchased at their store. I didn't notice the new gender policy. Is it that they are guaranteeing 100% sexing on ALL their chicks? If so, that is great.

To clarify. If you request it for $6.00 fee they will mark males. Breed ID for free is standard now for difficult to ID breeds. So they mark them on orders with leg band. They have a list in the new catalog for 2019 of breeds they mark. 100% guarantee is they sex correctly when asked and compensate in some way if wrong. They are not usually wrong. Most Hatchery sites have chick ID tool in their website as well. Don’t forget to request the service on your order.

Last edited:
To clarify. If you request it for $6.00 fee they will mark males. Breed ID for free is standard now for difficult to ID breeds. So they mark them on orders with leg band. They have a list in the new catalog for 2019 of breeds they mark. 100% guarantee is they sex correctly when asked and compensate in some way if wrong. They are not usually wrong. Most Hatchery sites have chick ID tool in their website as well. Don’t forget to request the service on your order.

Good to know! For some of the more expensive chicks, it makes sense to pay the $6.00 fee, for the 100% guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom