ANNOUNCING A BYC MEMBER PROJECT!!!!! JOIN IN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been really wanting to create an updated tri-fold pamphlet for BYC so our members can hand them out at shows, etc.

Here is our "Save A Chick" project from about 4 years ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/save-a-chick

If we can combine the info being discussed in this thread with the info in that thread, we'd gladly put together the resources needed to get a tri-fold pamphlet together. We can then make them available for download / printing and can print them in bulk to make available for our members go use at shows, etc.

What do you think?

Hm! Great project! It sounds like we're looking at a fact sheet on the general benefits of having chickens, including mental/physical health.
I do think that to keep this from becoming more of an encyclopedia than a sheet, we'll want to narrow it down to maybe a bullet format, with an introductory piece of text. We all know that books have been written to contain all of what we consider to be essential info, so whittling it down to a handy fact sheet will take some work!

Maybe we could start by having people contribute one important "bullet point" and we can compile them and decide which are the absolutely essential points to include. The rest, maybe, could be part of a later handout.

I worked in public relations and media production for 25 years, plus I've worked as a professional cartoonist and illustrator. So let me know if there's anything I can do.

Judy, "Great Backyard Pet" (why) is great! Simple, easy.

This is kind of gushy: " A beloved pet has no monetary value" You can't put a price on a beloved pet". "The Mystery of a Pet Chicken" (okay, corny).

Gardenergal, absolutely right. My "bullet" point I'm trying to narrow it down here is not anything but the joys of having a pet chicken. Not nutritional, not how to raise a chicken, nothing like that.

Yes, I think all that have answered here should post their-one sentence quote about why people form emotional attachments to them, or why you have them as a pet, or the joy of owning chickens.

People have no idea what chickens are really like. My friends laugh when I tell them stories. Like my rooster jumping up to knock rose petals down for his girls. (I could go on all day, LOL)

Then intersperse the quotes with pictures of chickens and their humans. Stuff that makes people go "Awww". Or like Speckledhen's husband napping in a hammock with a few hens napping with him, (yes, really). And we have to get permission from the owner of the pic.

Yes?

Nifty, I don't know if you want all this gushy emotional bonding stuff in your tri-fold, LOL. I think your trifold has different points to get across, mostly care, feeding,, facts etc.

But if you like to combine stuff on your trifold, it's good. But it would give us less room than a page to it's own. Unless you are offering a whole side (3 folds) to this "the joys of pet chickens".

I guess I'm trying to take a different angle on chickens, (or bullet!). There's alot said about raising, caring, eggs, meat, ailments, feeding, nutrition............. But very very little about the attachment to a chicken and how they are a great pet,, for kids and adults alike.

Blondiechic said it well:

as a newbie to your site I too think its a great idea - I keep telling everyone how fun chickens are, and those who have met Barry do agree (barry is a she).
With the pictures - which I think are great, may I suggest 'cartoony' friendly, fun ones rather than serious actual photos (unless you use baby silkies who are too cute for words!)

I'm open to whatever the group thinks is best! I was just wondering if there was a way to combine resources and... um... kill two birds with one stone
hide.gif

If the two can't be combined in a way that makes sense, then definitely keep them separate. If there is a way to put them together to serve both purposes, there is definitely more power (and resources) to do one pamphlet vs. two.

Again, I'm fine with whatever is best... just shooting out some brainstorming ideas.

Keep up the great work!

thumbsup.gif

When I think of a tri fold, I think of six separate spaces.
Both sides need to be printed in order for the tri fold not to present blank spaces to the recipient.
Divide the info into six areas and fill from there.
Front of the tri fold gives an idea of what is inside so people will bother to pick it up and open it,
The inside can be three arguments for the 'pet' value of chickens, the back fold can be bullet facts about the additional 'stock' value of their new 'pet.'
And the inside back can be all of the resources that the recipient can go to for further information.

We've been really wanting to create an updated tri-fold pamphlet for BYC so our members can hand them out at shows, etc.

Here is our "Save A Chick" project from about 4 years ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/save-a-chick

If we can combine the info being discussed in this thread with the info in that thread, we'd gladly put together the resources needed to get a tri-fold pamphlet together. We can then make them available for download / printing and can print them in bulk to make available for our members go use at shows, etc.

What do you think?

What kind of shows are you talking about?

I do notice in the sample shown, it says a few times, "baby chicks." Really, it should just say, "chicks."

3goodeggs, you wrote the inside could be 3 arguments for the pet value of chickens. Arguments? Like what? What 3 items are you thinking about? I like the idea of having the whole inside, tho, LOL

What kind of shows are you talking about?

We wanted something a little more detailed than the BYC business cards. Something that would serve a bunch of purposes:

1. People without chickens: Educate them on the benefits & reasons to raise them
  2. People getting chickens: Educate them on the most important things to keep in mind
  3. People with chickens: Promoting BYC as a great place to share experiences, stories, pictures, etc.
  4. All of the above people: Promote BYC as a place to learn and share

So, the same pamphlet could be given to your neighbor that isn't sure about having chickens next door, or to the judge at a poultry show who's never heard of BYC.

Maybe that's too much to do in one pamphlet, but it sure would be easier to get one created and mass printed than 3 different ones. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom