Annoyed >:(

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Well, my babies went to their new home on Monday last week. We drove them out there. I should have known better than to raise a bunch of chickens for people who had never had them before, and aren't inclined to take advice.
hmm.png

My babies got stuck in a coop for SIX DAYS before they let them out in the grass! Then they complained that it took a long time to get them back into the coop. I could have told them that would happen! They are wanting to let them free-range eventually, and said they read that to be sure the chickens know that the coop is their home, you need to keep them in it for several days and not let them out. Sounds like a good way to make them HATE their coop if you ask me!

*scream* I tried my best to dissuade them from this.....they had originally said they were going to make a big fenced run for them, but then at the last minute they informed me of their change in plans.
sad.png
I even offered to let them borrow the big portable run that my mom and I built, for a couple weeks, so at least the chickens could be on the ground, yet contained. No, no, they didn't want that.

Sorry, this is turning into a huge sob story, I know. I am just so annoyed with them for treating their chickens (my babies!) like this! Fortunately I have my little Peanut (bantam), Biddy (Ameraucana) and Biddy#2 (SLW that mom just had to keep, too) LOL
smile.png
It took them awhile to get used to being the Three Lonely Musketeers, but now I think they like having the yard to themselves! Like I said, my mom and I built this huge portable run for them, with little doors on the sides and completely covered on top. It hooks to their coop, so they can come and go in the sunshine however they want. I will post pics in the coop/run section soon!
smile.png

Thanks, I keep telling myself that! I am loving spoiling my 3 remaining babies! They climb all over me when I let them out of their run into the yard.
smile.png

It sounds like an honest case of misinformation and new chicken owners trying to do things 'right' - even if it is a bit misguided. But each family will do what is best for them and their situation. I see this in dogs and cats a Lot when trying to educate clients about healthy species appropriate diets, exercise, medical care, etc. You have to think of the positives - such as the fact that they Do have shelter, food, water, and safety. They will get to the point where they are outside free ranging.

In the meantime, know that you have done everything you are able to do and you continue doing so for the 3 in your yard. Also, this opens the way for you to have more chicks to spoil.
wink.png
There are always positives to every situation; I am sure things will work out fine!!!
smile.png

hugs.gif
they will be alright. I'm sure even though they are new to chickens (as am I)
big_smile.png
they will learn quickly and start caring for their new family members with feathers.
D.gif
wee.gif
D.gif

Many on BYC recommend confining chickens to their coop for several days after a move, so they will know the coop is home and return at night. I don't think their doing this is any indication that they are uncaring chicken owners. You just have a difference of opinion.

I'm a new chicken slave and I have to tell you that I was told by everyone to keep my chickens cooped up for 2 weeks before letting them outside so they would understand that the coop is where they're food and water is and that this is home. I did that. My chickens go back to their coop every night when it starts to get dark.

Now I have a fenced run and I would advise them to do the same but once you've given/sold them to someone else, its really out of your hands.

Hopefully they'll be good chicken parents.

Laurie

Seriously, I don't get it. It sounds to me like they have a grip on things. Did you have a deal that they would do things your way? If not, let it go.

I leave my chickens cooped up for a few days whenever I move then including another building in the same spot. When my chickens free range they stamped to get back in when I open the door. They love it in there.

Quote:
I'm a newbie to chickens and that is what I read everywhere (on here too I read that)...to leave them in the coop (like their brooder) for two days straight...and then let them out...

...also I have some friends who are homing pigion(sp?) and chicken folks who say the same thing...

tell me what your advice is so I can see what fits best to my girls and my situation...I'll listen
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom