annoyingly noisy rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emjay, Jun 28, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    was hoping to breed BLRW's, have a gorgeous colored roo, who is of a very nice size. Bought some expensive girls for him. But, he is annoying. and is now annoying the hubby, so I'm sure the neighbors are getting annoyed too.
    He just won't shut up, it is non stop, all day long. and loud.

I am contemplating getting rid of him and not breeding them at all. But, I am having people contact me for pullets, so I don't know what to do. Get a different rooster and hope he's not as annoying.

Are all wyandotte roosters non stop crowers, or is he an exception.

I have an EE roo who crows, but, he goes in waves. He'll crow for about five minutes, then quiet for an hour or so. with the odd crow.

is there such a thing as a quiet breed, as far as quiet roosters go ???????????
  2. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    so I guess this means there is no such creature as a non annoying rooster. awesome.
  3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I think you've gotten the big picture now!!
  4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    all roosters crow, some more than others it per bird though not per breed. I put mine in a sound pproof box until 9 since the neighbors have babies. Maybe you could make one of those
  5. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    I am a 'newbie', my chickens are only four months old--but I have four roosters out of forty that I know of. One is like yours. loud and nonestop. One (EE) is free range and once in a while. not annoying at all. Two (S.Sussex and Lakenvelder) are absolutely silent until now. I think it is possible to get one that is not too loud or too often. I am interested in watching the Speckled Sussex--so far not a peep. He is by far the largest and most Rooster looking, but i think he is number two on the order.....I am suprised no one with more expereince has responded
  6. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I try not to let mine out until closer to 9am, for respect of the neighbors. Sometimes, it's earlier due to work etc. but, for the most part close to 9.
    the coop isn't soundproof, not bad, dulls his sound out. I do sometimes put him back in , during the day if he's too freaky. it's cooler in there then outside, so he's okay that way. an d gives his girlfriend a break.

I am considering looking for a new roo to replace him, I don't think I'd find one worse, if I did, it would end up as dinner.
    This one is getting close, haha. he's a good size too !!!!!!!
    too bad he's so handsome.
  7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    well thats annoying, sorry about that... [​IMG] but i think all roosters crow but some not as much and yeah, i would probably either replace him and/or like someone said put him in a soundproof box... [​IMG] lol but anyways good luck and hope you get it sorted out, let us know what you decide to do too please. thanks and good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by