Another 1st egg post (jumping on the bandwagon)

Tool

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Its been a couple of weeks, and finally getting around to posting pics. We have gotten a couple doz since, hoping to be around 10-12 a day soon. Right now we are averaging 4-5 a day.

The 2 brown are number 1 and 2, the white is store bought to show size.

Photo0386.jpg

Photo0387.jpg

So far we have 2 shades of brown (light and dark), white and 1 off white "torpedo" egg. The torpedo was the 1st one I have found outside the nesting boxes. All the others have been in them
big_smile.png
. I believe the torpedo egg may be from one of the EE's, but did not see her laying it. So I'll have to keep a close eye out to see.

Now to decide whether or not to keep the roo. I do not plan to hatch any eggs this year. Maybe in the spring, but I also like him so I am not in a big rush to eat him.... YET.

He has been actively trying to mate with the girls and I dont want him to tear them up. Here he is. RIR about 21 weeks old.

Photo0360.jpg

Photo0356.jpg

I finally had some time today to hang out in the run and watch their behavior before, during and after egg laying. What a hoot. I usually only can spend 20 min or so out there a day, and its usually after the few have laid. So it was cool. But boy are they shy when it comes time to lay.

I went out at 1030 this morning (I normaly dont make it out till around 2) and was dissapointed to find no eggs. Hung out and saw one Leghorn lay an egg, and one RIR preping to. In the end we ended up with 6.... First 6 egg day yet.

Once they get it down to an art.... with 15 hens I should have eggs coming out of my ears soon.

I remember those first eggs....it's so awesome......Congrats. Mine aren't always that big but the quality and flavor is so awesome it doesn't matter. I've been a serious baker for many years and everything is much improved with the addition of these eggs.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom