Another 1st time coop build

Great looking coop! Definitely looking sturdy with all those 4x4s!
Down in SoCal you probably don't even need the enclosed coop section and can go open-air like mentioned. At least that's my experience here in NorCal, my chickens don't really even go into the coop except to lay an egg in the boxes, not even in the "winter"; had I known that before.....hahaha

Aloha and welcome to byc and your new chicken adventures!
Looks like you have some building skills and will have some fun. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I have an open coop and have no regrets. Same theory, just more wire and less walls (and cost!) and a decent overhang. The heat can be brutal on the birds and it is easier to add than subtract IME.
Maybe removable walls so you can adjust if needed. 😉
Again, looking forward to seeing what you do! 🌴:frow

Welcome to BYC!

Rule of thumb is 1 foot square of ventilation per bird, but more is always better. Especially in a warm climate like California. Since you don't get below freezing, you could even consider an open air coop, meaning one or more sides are wire rather than solid.

And coop space is minimum 4 square feet per bird, or 2 square feet if you are going with bantam birds. 21 square feet is really not enough space for 6 birds.
I may go to 1 side with just hardware cloth along with rafter openings. Never freezes here. Don't get much rhayne these days, I can't even spell it right anymore!
You're right on the math. I'll start with 3 birds, max 5.
Thanks,
Art/AGGuy

Great looking coop! Definitely looking sturdy with all those 4x4s!
Down in SoCal you probably don't even need the enclosed coop section and can go open-air like mentioned. At least that's my experience here in NorCal, my chickens don't really even go into the coop except to lay an egg in the boxes, not even in the "winter"; had I known that before.....hahaha
Yup
Gonna go as open air as I can, as recommended
Turns out that I always overbuild things
No wonder my rocket ship was never able to take off!
:)
Art/AGGuy

F14A2AEA-CC60-42DC-83DC-AC1A94D1A6B0.jpeg
Finally got the coop and run done
Now off to get some chicks!
Thinking 3 of different breeds for the variety.
What 3 breeds would you recommend to me as a newbie chicken guy?
Art/AGGuy

Great setting. You did a terrific job on your design build and paint and are going to have some fun.
The Ameraucana is beautiful, comes in many colors, docile and fairly quiet though a little shy. IMO, they are a joy to have and the blue eggs brighten up my egg bowl.

Back
Top Bottom