Another bad thing about chickens: frozen Single Combs

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Ducks don't get frozen combs, and Campbell and Harlequin ducks lay more than any chicken in the backyard flock, almost guaranteed.

As I consider getting back into chx only--from ducks--this is another bad thing about chx that makes me pause.

I rub a little vasaline into mine and they don't get frozen. Of course, DH thinks it's "too cold" for them and gives them heat lamps. lol Spoiled brats! I turn them off if it's over 30 though.

Quote:
That stuff is great! The other night I did my roosters' combs then spent an hour working on a broken automatic waterer when it was about 15 degrees out. My left hand was froxen stiff, but the one I used to put the bag balm on the roosters was just fine
big_smile.png

Yeah, but Campbells are blooming idiots! A more stupid, flighty bird I have yet to come across. I swear that something must have been lost in the domestication process because there is absolutely no way these creatures could survive more than like 5 minutes in the wild. At least chickens are fun to have around and can be handled without it being a major pain for all involved. Campbell ducks are only fun to have around when you don't have to actually interact with them. You can laugh at their antics from afar. Actually having to have physical contact with them is a nightmare. I have 10 Campbells, 9 of which I swear were dropped on their heads by the USPS during delivery. The only reason they haven't made their way to the freezer is that they lay decent eggs and are so scrawny they would be more work to butcher than they are worth.

And besides- there are other comb styles out there. I deal with cold temps for half the year and have never had frostbite before this year. The only reason I have frostbite this year is because my roo dips his wattles in the waterer. His comb is untouched, though.

Quote:
In a moment of silliness, I tried to figure out a stocking/swim cap for my big combed/big wattled rooster. Needless to say he did not like it.

Love the big combs and wattles, but the just are not practical in the northern tier states.

Quote:
Thanks. The very skittishness of waterfowl in fact is one of the things that impels me back to chx. Unfortunately, really ALL the best egg chx are Single Comb.

Back
Top Bottom