Another blue roo question? Which to keep? [PICS ADDED]

i would keep the light one for his beautiful plumage but i would also keep the dark one for his wonderful body shape...very hard decision you have on your hands...hope you can figure it out
thumbsup.gif

It is best to look at your hens, and keep the rooster that will most improve them.. The best show bird in the world won't do you any good if he has the same faults as the hens he is on.. Look at the girls and pick the one that is best for them.

I have two hens per roo in my cochin breeding pens and they are filled out and fluffy. Not a feather missing. It all depends on the roo.

Just from these pictures, the darker one has a better overall shape and feathering. Iajewel is right, that if you pair a rooster with a hen who has the same fault, then they will perpetuate that. You need one breeder strong where the other one is weak, IMO.

I would like to add that you really should not judge a bird to heavily until it is close to if not completely mature. There are obvious defects that you will see right away but others may not manifest until much later and on the flip side a bird you think may not have good color when it is young may develop nice color later. I say hold all birds in question until at least a year of age if possible.

Last edited:
Quote:
filled out and fluffy is great but.. if you are breeding for breed standard, better not breed flaw to flaw.. no matter how fluffy they are

Quote:
filled out and fluffy is great but.. if you are breeding for breed standard, better not breed flaw to flaw.. no matter how fluffy they are

Ok
roll.png
....I was referring to the OP's question concerning roos over breeding their hens....that's what I meant by "not a feather missing"
hmm.png
I believe you tackled your point with all the strength of a Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom