Another check those heat lamps, cords, etc...posts! Fire in my barn!

I had my chicken coop burn down 2 yrs ago because of a heat lamp. I woke up at about 7 am on Jan 2nd, and went outside to let my ducks and chickens out. We had a truck blocking the coop so I didn't notice anything until I got around it. It was burned to the ground! I can't describe the feelings I had that morning. My poor birds were trapped in that house. I had no idea it was happening. I just recently built a new one and got more chickens. I feel like I need to have light on them when it's really cold here. Usually the only time I turn it on is when its -20F or colder. I am very paranoid about a lamp again. I had my ducks in a building about three times the size of a dog house last year. I used a waterproof heat mat for dogs to provide extra heat. They just layed on it when they got cold. But in the big house I have now, that's not going to work. I don't even think they'll know its there. We got snow today and next week it's supposed to be a low of 5*. I have chickens in there that are less than 2 months old. I feel like I should put a lamp in, but it's a little scary.

Last edited:
Wow sorry for the close call but glad you made that check when you did. I know there are times I do things out of chacter and find out later why then I am glad I made the extra effort. I have to say I dont have electric out in the coops for several reasons....like the wiring was old when I ripped it out now its to expensive to replace it and jsut not see a reason for it now. But after this post I understand why I never pushed the issue and made it a priority to get it back in there.
I am glad all is safe tonight and I do hope you can rest some.....

Back
Top Bottom