Another check those heat lamps, cords, etc...posts! Fire in my barn!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TennesseeTruly, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Right now I'm sitting here shaking like a leaf and close to vomiting! I went out to my large barn to check everyone's food and water and there was this odor permeating the air. I went to the back of the barn and there was a small fire coming from a plug in the wall where one of our heat lamps was plugged in! I ripped the plug out of the wall and then ripped the wiring out of the barn wall and stomped on it. Thankfully there was no hay or anything flammable closeby and it was just sheer luck that I went out to the barn anyway. I had been procrastinating for well over an hour about doing it.

Please, please everyone. Right now, go check those plugs, those heat lamps. Check for frayed wires. Check everything!

I'm absolutely terrified of fire as I lost an infant brother and a toddler sister when I was 12 years old in a fire. I will never get the visions of that night out of my head and I'm telling you that I know I won't sleep tonight after that close call today.

I have close to 75 chickens and a peacock in that barn and I would have lost everything in a blink of an eye.

So please for your peace of mind, be safe!

Laurie

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] so glad you went out there and checked and that everyones okay!!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How horrible for you! [​IMG]

Yet another reason why I will not have electricity out in my coops.

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Oh goodness, I am so glad that you caught that in time! (So sorry you lost siblings in a fire, I'm sure that would stay with you forever!)

5. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    So glad you were able to prevent a disaster. I have been seeing a bunch of posts on people getting their heat lamps ready and I have to admit I'm getting a wee bit concerned about that. As long as they are protected from drafts chickens are generally very cold hardy. The additional warmth might prevent them from adjusting properly to the cold season and they might become more susceptible to health problems particularly if the power goes during a bad cold spell. Then they have no chance to adjust. I read somewhere that the down feathers become extra heat retentive as a result of cold temps. When you keep your chicken's environment too warm you, you might be undercutting that making them even more vulnerable to the cold. My mantra is to let them "toughen" up and only use the heat lamp as a means of last resort when them temps drop towards zero. Not using a heat lamp also has the nice side effect of saving you money on your electric bill and not having to worry about a barn fire.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I saw this on your facebook, I'm so glad you went out there when you did! What a tragedy that would have been! Kind of like my mishap with the light in the brooder a few weeks ago, remember that?

It must be mother's intuition [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is why I don't like to use heat lamps in the winter anymore, too much of a hazard. And doing your research on the breeds would help alot in selecting the breeds you want to have and what temps they can adapt in your area.

8. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Oh, so sorry! Luckily the only time I would need a heat lamp is for my very safe brooder. Not so cold in ATL here!! Very sorry to hear and that certainly woke me up.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

10. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Quote:x2

I can't imagine the loss of siblings in a fire. You know how we all have certain things that are our worst nightmare? A fire is mine.... I'm glad you were there this time and hope that you are able to sleep tonight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by