Another Cochin color question...

When you say "self blue" do you mean lavender? If so the offspring would would probably be a mess ...mostly black with probable red leakage......but you could always try it & see:)
Very few first crosses come to anything one would want for themselves, but are usually a first step in a plan for another colour. If you were to breed together the offspring of your red X lavender you would finish up with some much more interesting results.
Most workable frizzles carry one frizzing gene, which is dominant, so bred with a normal feathered bird the offspring, all things being equal, would give about 50% of each frizzle & normal feather.

The name of the gene is lavender; the name of the variety, as listed in the Bantam Standard and presumably the APA standard as well, although I do not have a copy to check, is self-blue.

I think I've also heard the term "pearl grey" from I believe Britain, although I am not absolutely positive I have that correct.

The name for the colour in Britain is most often "lavender" as in Lavender Araucana or Lavender Orpington, which makes sense as it is lavender from the lavender gene. Though in Britain, the "blue Leghorn", is actually lavender, which could be confusing. It was a "blue" leghorn which was the initial outcross for the British Lavender Orpingtons.
I am not familiar with the term "self" in chickens, though I have heard of it in other animals. I don't know why they would have used it to describe a lavender bird. I know nothing of the APA as I breed to the standards of country of origin & have no breeds which originated in US.
smile.png

Yes. As I understand it, "Lavender," more used in the UK, is the same as "Self-Blue" in the US. I don't have grand plans to breed these two, but might hatch a few eggs now out of curiosity. If I do, I'll let you all know what hatches!
Thanks for all the replies.
Mary in NH

The offspring of the first cross would be black possibly with leakage.....In that form nothing that anyone would want for anything other than Sunday dinner
tongue.png
But much more interesting things would start to crop up if the person then crossed these offsprng together .....just for fun......& as some would also be frizzle even more fun
big_smile.png

The reason the offspring would be black is that lavender only shows when there are two lavender genes. If the person crosses the lavender bird with the red the offspring will only have one lavender gene thus it will not show. If the lavender bird had not had the two lavender genes it would have been black. Black is dominant to the genes of the red coloured bird thus the offspring will show as black. However, because the offspring will not be "pure" for black there is a possibilty of of some red leakage.

Back
Top Bottom