Another dead chicken.

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Another dead chicken…She was separate from Festus, who I found dead yesterday, in a different coop, secured in her coop/run…no evidence of trauma or injury. No parasites, nothing to indicate anything wrong and she laid an egg this morning. My Cochin mix, hatched here, the only one who laid little green eggs… She was still warm, I thought she was just sleeping. Clean coop, fresh bedding, fresh food and water…Googled chicken sites: it’s called sudden chicken death syndrome. I’m at a loss. If I can’t figure out a cause I can’t fix it. 💔

Is there something I should be doing for the rest of my flock? Please help.

it’s called sudden chicken death syndrome. I’m at a loss. If I can’t figure out a cause I can’t fix it.
2 dead birds 2 days in a row is too suspicios to let go.. consider getting a necropsy done by your state vet.. Sudden death is often used to describe what people know not.. can be caused by heart attack, fatty liver hemorragic syndrome, and other causes like feed contamination, etc. Affordable or free in many states to backyard keepers, and may be the only way to get any answers.

Contact info for what I think is your state.. they may also have websites available but I didn't search that

Mississippi Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
P.O. Box 97813
Pearl, MS 39288 US
601-932-6771
fax: 601-420-4716

South Central Poultry Research Laboratory
P.O. Box 5367
Mississippi State, MS 39762 US
662-320-7479
fax: 662-320-7589

Otherwise here is a link with more labs listed for other states..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Hope this helps some.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs

2 dead birds 2 days in a row is too suspicios to let go.. consider getting a necropsy done by your state vet.. Sudden death is often used to describe what people know not.. can be caused by heart attack, fatty liver hemorragic syndrome, and other causes like feed contamination, etc. Affordable or free in many states to backyard keepers, and may be the only way to get any answers.

Contact info for what I think is your state.. they may also have websites available but I didn't search that

P.O. Box 97813
Pearl, MS 39288 US
601-932-6771

P.O. Box 5367
662-320-7479

Hope this helps sSorry for your loss. :hugs

P.O. Box 97813
Pearl, MS 39288 US
601-932-6771

P.O. Box 5367
662-320-7479

Hope this helps some.

Sorry for your loss. :hugs
I buried her; i will see if I can contact them asap. Thank you so much!

Another dead chicken…She was separate from Festus, who I found dead yesterday, in a different coop, secured in her coop/run…no evidence of trauma or injury. No parasites, nothing to indicate anything wrong and she laid an egg this morning. My Cochin mix, hatched here, the only one who laid little green eggs… She was still warm, I thought she was just sleeping. Clean coop, fresh bedding, fresh food and water…Googled chicken sites: it’s called sudden chicken death syndrome. I’m at a loss. If I can’t figure out a cause I can’t fix it. 💔

Is there something I should be doing for the rest of my flock? Please help.
Could be a weasel. You really have to look close through the feathers to see teeth marks. Had one kill a chicken a few years ago. Just found her dead one morning. Removed her but left the cage where it was and the darn weasel came back Luckily we were able to shoot it. Had no idea weasels were anywhere around. If it had not come back, we never would have known what happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom