Another Deep Litter Question....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by j71, Jul 23, 2010.

1. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Ive had my birds for about a year now......I turn up the Pine shavings almost daily but at minimum I move them around and stuff 4-5x per week. I simply use a smaller rake and mix the shaving and what not around......

I have yet to use DE..... [​IMG]

Smell is not bad at all....

The poo seems to dry up fairly well, fairly quickly....

Flys exist but not overwhelming.....we live by the Jersey Shore (fist pump......NOT! [​IMG] ) So we have all sorts of flys.....

Is there anything wrong with the method I am using?

I put down a fresh layer of Pine shavings about every 2-weeks....I turn up whats there and add a fresh inch or two on top.,......

Am I doing this wrong? Birds seem to have no issues?

Is DE neccessary? [​IMG]

TY!!

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
  3. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Sounds like my exact situation. I haven't been at it as long as you, but that's what I'm doing. The coop has it's "smell" but it doesn't "stink", if you catch what I'm trying to say. I stir it daily, add shavings from time to time, and try to keep things dry, and tidy. The flies, very few, are present, but not an issue. Any caked on poo on the roosts is scraped off regularly, so no accumulation. Seems to be working for me!

4. j71

j71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Thanks Team!! [​IMG]

Guess all is well.....at this point in time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by