Another Duckling with leg problems... Ideas???

HollistonHomesteading

In the Brooder
May 30, 2017
Holliston, MA
  1. I have a duck who I think needs two (2) splints (one on each leg).

1. I got him 2 weeks ago. At that time, he was two months old. I didn't notice his leg problem until we got home (I bought several and the seller put them in the crate for me).

2. At first it just seemed like 1 leg. I read up on leg problems in water fowl and tried extra niacin first. No real change after a week. I then stopped the niacin while I tried to figure out the next step.

Here is a link to a video of him "walking"....

3. So, I think I need to do splints on both legs but also make a little "boot" to keep his foot from folding over.

The real question is "then what". He doesn't move around much now. I can imagine he won't move at all with 2 splints on... how far up the leg should the splint go???

I plan to do "physical therapy" with him and make him walk everyday in increasing lengths of time -- but what do i do with him during down time. Is it better to just leave him with his friends (remember, he just sits there and they walk around and then come back to him)... or should I put him in something like a "jolly jumper" that supports him but also keeps his legs straight and allows some weight on them??

I plan to post videos of me making the spints as well as his progress because this seems to a common duck issue.

Ideas and suggestions welcome!!!
    Becky

I read in several places that if the leg problems were caused by a niacin deficiency, then I would see improvement within aa few days. Instead, his leg problems became worse. If it takes longer, I can put him back on niacin.

What do people think is better?
Brewer's Yeast or straight niacin?
If straight niacin, is there a consensus about flush free or non flush free?

Ducklings need niacin with their chick feed.

3 x as much (55mg/kg feed)

If ducklings are fed chick starter a niacin supplement should be given for the first 10 weeks. Brewer’s yeast can be added to feed (2-3 cups per 10 lbs of feed) or niacin tablets can be added to water (100-150mg per gallon).

Do NOT want innositol hexanicotinate in it. Words like flush-free or slow release tell you to stay away.

You want it to say Nicotinic Acid, the simple form of it.

I have a duckling hatched with a club foot. Here is a photo of the splint I used to bend his foot into a straight position. The material is splinting plastic given to me by an Occupational Therapist. I had to make it bigger every other day. Dipped into 160º F water, it would become pliable. I wrapped the ankle part around progressively larger rods until the leg was ready to progress from a straight position to extended. Then we used a flexible splint made from a pipe cleaner.

The foot never got fully straight, so the duckling now walks on the side of her foot. It got injured and we are treating the foot wound. Hopefully it won't develop into bumblefoot. I'm planning a custom felt boot with a bone casting material sole. I'll make a custom boot for her once her foot wound is healed.

1. I have a duck who I think needs two (2) splints (one on each leg).
  1. I got him 2 weeks ago. At that time, he was two months old. I didn't notice his leg problem until we got home (I bought several and the seller put them in the crate for me).

2. At first it just seemed like 1 leg. I read up on leg problems in water fowl and tried extra niacin first. No real change after a week. I then stopped the niacin while I tried to figure out the next step.

Here is a link to a video of him "walking"....

3. So, I think I need to do splints on both legs but also make a little "boot" to keep his foot from folding over.

The real question is "then what". He doesn't move around much now. I can imagine he won't move at all with 2 splints on... how far up the leg should the splint go???

I plan to do "physical therapy" with him and make him walk everyday in increasing lengths of time -- but what do i do with him during down time. Is it better to just leave him with his friends (remember, he just sits there and they walk around and then come back to him)... or should I put him in something like a "jolly jumper" that supports him but also keeps his legs straight and allows some weight on them??

I plan to post videos of me making the spints as well as his progress because this seems to a common duck issue.

Ideas and suggestions welcome!!!
    Becky

Attachments

• Splint1.JPG
    Splint1.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Splint2.JPG
    Splint2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Splint3.JPG
    Splint3.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 2