Another Egg Bound Hen.

She is breathing normally now, i will leave her now and will go to bed, will be waking up hopefully after 4 or 5 hours, hoping she will lay the egg before that time.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that she lays it for you!
fl.gif

24 hours later and our girl is doing well. Seems like every time I check on her she is getting a drink. Perhaps in an effort to convince me not to stick that awful thing down her throat anymore.
wink.png

Mine is starting to get that droopy look again, so I just checked her and she has a thin shelled egg there already. Maybe you're wondering how I know it's thin? Well, it's because I could feel the shell crinkle when I checked.
hide.gif
Will give more sub-q fluids and calcium in about an hour, then again in the morning. Sigh...

-Kathy

Mine is starting to get that droopy look again, so I just checked her and she has a thin shelled egg there already. Maybe you're wondering how I know it's thin? Well, it's because I could feel the shell crinkle when I checked.
hide.gif
Will give more sub-q fluids and calcium in about an hour, then again in the morning. Sigh...

-Kathy

I guess there is really nothing we can do to break this cycle in our hens? My egg felt very firm, as I said like a wet rubber ball. I can absolutely get what you are saying about being able to tell it's soft. I think if that egg had crinkled when I felt it I would have freaked thinking I broke it in her.

Last edited:
Quote: I'm really confused... need to look up metabolic conditions that might cause this. Another thing I noticed is that she's missing all of her breast feathers, like chickens do when they go broody. I read that a change in hormones causes this, so I'm wondering if that part of my problem. Another thing that concerns me is her weight... she's kind of fat, lol.

-Kathy

24 hours later and our girl is doing well. Seems like every time I check on her she is getting a drink. Perhaps in an effort to convince me not to stick that awful thing down her throat anymore.
wink.png

Glad she is doing better, and thank you for your prayers.
hide.gif

-Kathy
What a pain LOL, is being fat one of the causes of egg bound?

My hen still didn't lay the egg, but at least she is acting fine, she is breathing normally and will walk a few steps in the pen, but she will not fly to the perch. Hoping she will lay the egg by the evening.

She is not eating or drinking since the morning, i think i should tube her again, but i'm worried about getting her stressed, last night she got so stressed after I caught her.

Back
Top Bottom