Another Friday Night, And My Husband's Up A Tree.

I've gone along on duck-hunts, and I have a license every year, but so far deer-hunting has just not appealed to me. I've been told, however, that I AM going deer-hunting this year.
roll.png

It's terribly hypocritical, since I do eat the meat, but I'm not sure I myself could pull the trigger on a deer. My dad was a crack shot, and loved going duck hunting and spending time outdoors, but he always came home empty-handed from deer hunts, and finally one day admitted that he'd often had them in his crosshairs, but just preferred not to kill them. He said, "I don't know, they just look...like...like big dogs."
lol.png
My dad was a great big gruff guy, but a real mush at heart.

My husband says that as long as I can restrain myself from "warning" the deer, it's OK. I think I can manage that. I actually want to try dispatching a chicken or two by myself this weekend, just because I feel like it's something I should be able to do, instead of just watching my husband do it.

Look, I am not a girly girl by any means, but there are 15 times I don't shoot a deer for every one time that I do. It's great to sit out there and see the world the way we were supposed too. I have seen animals in our woods that I didn't even know were around here while sitting in my stand. AND if you want to talk about hypocritical, I don't even eat deer meat!!! We donate it or process it and give it to people we KNOW don't have much. One time a couple of years ago, we stopped and gave a family we didn't know personally, two shoulders and the backstraps off one of my does. The lady busted out crying and said theat they didn't ahve any meat for Christmas and now they did. That was so pitiful, and there I was feeling strange about even stopping because I didn't want to offend them by making them think I thought they were poor. Made my day and made me appreciate the fact that I CAN hunt. We spent thousands of dollars on gear, gas, licenses, bullets, bows etc and I don't eat anything but ribeyes and pork chops!!!

You could have -

- rented a movie, put the DD to bed, got a great bottle of wine, a thick slice of killer chocolate cake and sit back and relax.

- mixed up a few batches of new soaps.

- joined our quilting swap.

- a long soak in a hot bubble bath with a tall flute of champagne.

- night on BYC.

Geez, wish mine was hunting. He's in the Natn'l Guard and has drill. At least at the end of hunting he usually has something for me
lol.png
Krista

Quote:
I never ate venison until I'd been married for a few years. The ONLY cut that I like as steak or roast is the backstrap/loin. But this year, we ate almost NO ground beef, using ground venison instead. You have to add a little more flavor to it, but if it's in a recipe, I like it just fine.

It's great that you see that the meat is used well. We give the raw bones to our dogs, and they DEVOUR them.

Quote:
DANG IT--I totally forgot that I had everything I need to make soap! I've been without lye for so long I just completely forgot about it.
he.gif

I remember my boyfriend from long ago going deer hunting; but he never seemed to come back with anything. I asked him about it one day, and he said he had no intention of killing anything, and that it was far too much work to pack it out. And I remember my brother telling me, "that's where I got my last deer", and pointing halfway up a mountain. At the time I thought the boyfriend was probably smarter than my brother.

No one in my family hunts now. And where we live, I don't think I can support the way hunting is done. It doesn't seem fair to feed deer for six months, and then go out and shoot them. You might as well set up your stand in someone's pasture and kill a cow.

That being said.

Rent a chick flick and eat chocolate covered strawberries.

Go antiquing.

Go shopping for something completely frivolous that you have no intention of buying.

Buy a new book, sit all day in the sun and read.

But instead, you're here with the rest of us.

mom'sfolly :

I remember my boyfriend from long ago going deer hunting; but he never seemed to come back with anything. I asked him about it one day, and he said he had no intention of killing anything, and that it was far too much work to pack it out. And I remember my brother telling me, "that's where I got my last deer", and pointing halfway up a mountain. At the time I thought the boyfriend was probably smarter than my brother.

No one in my family hunts now. And where we live, I don't think I can support the way hunting is done. It doesn't seem fair to feed deer for six months, and then go out and shoot them. You might as well set up your stand in someone's pasture and kill a cow.

That being said.

Rent a chick flick and eat chocolate covered strawberries.

Go antiquing.

Go shopping for something completely frivolous that you have no intention of buying.

Buy a new book, sit all day in the sun and read.

But instead, you're here with the rest of us.

I think I am just too lazy!

And I do agree about the feeders...I like it better in the spring when hunting over feeders isn't allowed.​

I go out with my dh hunting a lot. Next year I will also bowhunt for deer and elk. As a matter of a fact, I just had venision stroganoff for dinner tonight
big_smile.png

Now if you all could tell me what to do while dh is bowling...............

Back
Top Bottom