Another goat kidding question

She is showing signs of early labor, I have run in add another pair of socks and am heading back out. I did breed her on purpose, it normally does not get this cold here, but for her to show her babies they have to be born before the middle of november for them to be old enough for our fair. If need be I will bring out a little heater and have my son hold it while they dry (or I help dry). The heat lamp is on, and I have covered every nook and cranny for drafts. Our doe does not seem to be bothered by the cold, more like I am at this point. Water is heated, and I am keeping watch. I am not new to the birthing process, just in goats, we have cattle too. Granted they are a little easier, but then again they just drop them where ever.

I feel for you guys in Minnesota. My husband was born and raised in Ada/Borup. He has told me how horrible the winters can be on the farm. I thought it was cold here this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and sending warm thoughts your way ~~~>
fl.gif

You all make me want to run home and check on my girl....I am sick to my stomach worrying about her having kids in this frigid temp. they are in the barn and out of the draft but still it is flippin cold!
roll.png

Quote:
I want to install a web-cam in my barn so I can watch the girls while I'm at work.
pop.gif
Of course I don't know what I'd do if I actually saw something going on...."hold it in there honey...I'm on my way!!"

Lil, I know what you mean about the cattle being so much easier...It takes a little longer for a 60 pound baby to freeze than it does a 6 pound baby. Plus it helps that the mamas usually only have one to clean off.

I don't usually complain about the cold, I just deal with it and look forward to the next thaw but the last couple of days have me in a real funk, loosing the baby I've been looking forward to for 5 months didn't help...Now I'm looking for real estate in Texas! BTW- forcast for next week has temps in the 30's (above zero this time).
clap.gif

Everyone is going to think I'm crazy, because I live in Alabama. It was 18* here this morning and won't get above freezing again until Sunday. Supposed to be 8* tomorrow morning. Of course of Christmas day it was 70* and we wore short sleeve shirts.
wink.png

I had a doe have triplets yesterday morning. I put my does in 6'x6' stalls made of rough cut lumber. The stalls are about 4' tall. I took 2 sheets of plywood and layed that over the stalls. I then covered the plywood with old blankets. I then took a Holmes brand bathroom heater http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10554695 (the kind that's plastic and doesn't get hot and shuts itself off it if's tipped over) and put it in a milk crate. Turned the heater on low and closed the door. It's probably in the 60's in the stall (32* air temp). They'll get this treatment for 24 hours or so. There is also a heat lamp in there for them to lay under. All three kids were shivering even though I helped mom dry them and placed them under the heat lamp.

The doe hasn't bothered the heater and the gentle warm air helped dry the kids quickly. They are all three up and doing fine.

I've never done this before, but I had 2 does kid (at the same time) Tuesday afternoon and it was going to get in the teens on Tuesday night. I did this with them (bathroom heater) and they are now in a covered stall with a heat lamp. It's fairly warm in there without the heater.

The first 24 hours is the most critical time when they can't regulate their body temperature.

I'll probably keep the does and kids in a covered stall with a heat lamp for about a week before letting them out with the general population. Of course I have incubators set up 30 and 55 gallon drums with flood light bulbs in them that I plug in for older kids on the nights it's going to be really cold.

I had a kid die earlier this year, because it went to sleep too far away from the heat lamp and froze during the night. That was it's first night. After the first night they do much better.

Chris
www.hillboergoats.com

FF, I don't think it's crazy at all.

OP, I wondered if you have access to an enclosed horse trailer or something like that. Can you borrow one from a friend? Maybe you could park it in your driveway with a small heater in it, and bed your goat in there in case she kids.

When I was a youngster, there were always bottle calves in our earthen basement. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do & deal with the clean-up later...

Here's how I provide heat for my little ones:

http://www.vkvboers.com/Barrel.pdf

It's a relatively safe way to put a heat lamp in with the goats. The kids love it. Once you get them passed that first day or two they're just fine. They hang out in the barrel until mom calls them out to eat...they eat then head back in where it's warm. It's especially cute when other barn animals join in. Right now I have one barrel that is shared by one doe kid and three kittens...too cute! The doeling thinks the kitties make nice pillows.

ETA- Chris---just checked your website. Nice goats! I think I see a trip to your area sometime in the future...any good real estate for sale down there? lows in the teens is sounding mighty nice right now!

Last edited:
I need to make one of those. My daughter's doe had twins just after lunch. I walked out from getting my toes warm, she had just started to "stream", called my son into the barn and about a half an hour later she had them. My daugther came out (she just had her tonsils out a week ago) and saw them, helped me hold the lamp, pet the female, took pics, and headed back in. I helped dry them off, and put the sweatshirts on. I have to head back out and put on the socks on their little ears. I am worried they will not stay under the light, the area is draft free and does not feel too bad in there so I am crossing my fingers. Its suppose to be really cold tonight with the wind chill, the temp is suppose to be -7 without the wind chill. I think I will add more straw and hope that helps some.

FF you are not crazy. I am in Alabama too and it is darn cold. I would definetly do what I could to keep that Doe and kids warm...loosing kids is no fun.
I have does due in a couple of weeks and they are all getting extra bedding and a heat lamp tonight

Back
Top Bottom