Another goat question...

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Would it be pointless to use picket fencing for my goat pen? They are Nigerian dwarves, a doe and wether. I love picket fencing and really want to do the goat pen and garden with it, but I need to know if the goats are just going to destroy it.
I also have an idea to put posts in the ground and build a pallet fence. I think it will look kind of neat and be a lot stronger, but would rather do picket fencing and save my pallets for climbing toys.
Thanks experts!

I think you want to make sure that it is high enough so they dont get there heads caught in the fence... Goats manage to get there heads in the strangest places
lol.png
I have Nigerians they are to cute..Good luck and happy goating and we must see pics of whatever you decide. I love to see other pens I will have to get some pics today of or new pen these are our 1st goats and it has been so much fun
wee.gif

Thanks! Maybe I could put some 4x2 wire along the inside so there won't be any head mishaps! (flashback to my little brother getting his head stuck in the apartment railing and having to call the fire department, haha!!!!)

Anything wood my goats ram with their head and/or horns and break it all up, might not be the best choice for you if it is wood. I even had 2 bucks ramming and knocking and bending the medal hog/cattle panels, one had horns and one did not. The one with horns had to be moved so he could not reach the fence anymore.
roll.png

If you put wire fencing on the inside of it you may be ok...but be prepared for some pickets to get broken.

If you decide to go chain link make sure that the bottom is secure...they can easily push it and go under unless you run a rod through it or place rail ties on their side or something.

Last edited:
I had my garden fenced off with picket when we had goats. The adults never messed with it at all. The babies used to slip through the slats when they were little, so we had to put chicken wire around the bottom. Other than that, it worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom