ANOTHER HAWK ATTACK!!! I'm getting a dog, but is this the right breed?

Guineas are pretty good alarms but I have had an eagle take off with one on them right in my front yard with our dogs right there too. The secure run is the best way to go.

Quote:
This is so correct. Poultry are food animals and they are very low on the chain. They basically need to be protected... They need an enclosed, covered run. No swooping! Once the word is out you have free dinner everyone will come and join in on the buffet. 20 chicks ?? What age were they?
old.gif

The poor things were about 1 1/2 months old. Some 2 1/2.

here are my 2 cents. I would recommend a dog also. We have a large lot (which you said you don't have) but our dogs don't let anything around our lot. HOWEVER, if a chicken or bunny gets OUT of our lot 2 of our 3 dogs typically are the reason for their demise. But as far as anything getting into our uncovered lot....hasn't happened in a year. (one of our dogs is a SERIOUS bird/bug/shadow/leaf chaser.) She's great at keeping things away from the chicken lot. But she's also one of the baddies if a chicken gets OUT of the lot. If i'm there to witness what's going on, I can control her. She listens. But if i"m not there (mostly I'm not when this happens) she just does what she thinks she should...and goes after the animal.

I DO believe, however, that because she's so sensitive, and wanting to please, had I adopted her as a puppy already having chicks and chickens, rabbits, ducks and goats....she would have made a PERFECT farm animal guardian dog. But before we knew we were going to actually move out here, we adopted her (as a lap dog) for us and a partner for our BMC/Boxer mix.

OHHHH...That reminds me. Check out the Black Mouth Cur dogs! http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackmouthcur.htm

Some
breeders breed more for hunting stock and some breeders breed more for farm dogs. If you're interested just check around and explain what use you want out of your BMC. Lovely GREAT dogs!

We got two Pyr pups 7 months ago to live with our ducks full time. Before we had problems with all kinds of predators and especially hawks. The dogs are amazing, when they were young there was one time they got playful and one of our ducks got a tear in her skin from a playful paw swipe... you must be very attentive to them in the first few months, they dont know better, they just want to play. We would scold them for playing too close or even when they would scare the ducks un-intentionally. They are from different lines, one we got from a breeder in WV, he is amazing. He is very gentle and is aware of everything! Jori will stop playing, eating, getting snuggled, whatever, to check out his yard and anything in it. Hes serious about keeping his ducks safe. They didnt notice hawks at all at first, we get them to see things by holding their head and aiming it at whatever it is, whenever I call Joris name to look at something he gets very excited and wont quit until he sees it, theres no need to point his head at anything anymore. We also play with a football and throw it high in the air for them to play with, I think it helps them to remember things come from the sky too, they have been noticing alot of birds lately, today it was a crow that didnt want to leave the telephone wire. I know for sure if a hawk tried to swoop Jori would intercept it, he may even catch one if he stalks it like he stalks his mate Amalie! He can cross the yard in a blink! My Pyrs are raw fed and eat prey model diet often which includes feathers and fur. To them a hawk is lunch. So are neutria, voles, squirrels... and hawks, whatever intrudes. They will never get bored of eating. My boyfriend and I spent 5 years acting like dogs, running out to the yard at every sound,we had a baby monitor in the duck house and have heard and caught animals scratching and digging. I cant express how much relief they have brought. Both are very sweet dogs. I grew up with bearded collies, herding dogs with opposite mentality. My boyfriend raised Bouviers, herding/guarding dogs. We both are amazed at how early and efficiently these dogs took to their jobs (thats not to say they dont have an evil puppy side, I woke up this morning with my 50 ft hose in pieces...). Amie, the female j
ust went out with me to a plant sale and met a 3 yr old therapy dog in training, she made him look foolish and his owner was shocked shes only 7 months. The vet and local clinic staff also commented on how well behaved they are saying theyve never seen such huge, calm mannered puppies. For us I think this is the ultimate solution. I am happy to answer any other questions.

My boyfriend and I spent 5 years acting like dogs, running out to the yard at every sound,we had a baby monitor in the duck house and have heard and caught animals scratching and digging.

THAT IS TOO CUTE!

lau.gif

I have a pyrenese newfoundland mix and nothing gets the fowl or messes with my pigs, actually, she thinks the pigs are two more dogs, she loves them

I'm thinking of adding a GP to my farm, how are they on fighting stray dogs they may pose a threat? My chicken coop and large run is pretty much predator proof its when we let them out to free range on occasions and have to turn my back for a few minutes is when our attacks happen. So far I've had to kill two big bulldogs, two huskys M/f, and couple just mixed mutts someone had dumped. I want a dog that can handel his own until I get there and finish it!

I have never had a problem with dogs, fortunately, but the neighbors have "large" dogs and were scared of my two when they were 6 months and 80lbs... Amies brother went to alaska to fight polar bears and Jori has a sibling in alaska for the same. They are used to keep away bears too. I found when looking for dogs there are (generally) two different types of Pyr, some are more slender and look more like collies and the others are more "bear headed" and bulky. Jori is more like a bear (we call him our growler bear- you know how polar bears are moving south and mating with grizzlys...) Amie is smaller, actually smaller than the standard. The larger the dog the less another dog, wolf, coyote... will want to mess with it though. Jori is our guard dog, Amie is his back-up and more like a farm dog. Yes I think they could hold off a dog (pyrs can snap a neck with one bite), but I will be having pups and keeping one in a year when we move to a larger property. I dont want to risk anything.
There are pics of the pups growing up on our website, and some info on raising ducks, BoondockersNaturals.com.

We hatched 5 Bantam Silver Appleyards last night!! These are very rare ducks and the mama is very dear to us (they all are but shes the only female we have of her kind and she is a rarer dark color). I brought Amie in to meet them, she took right to them! I had to tell ker to keep her head on the ground when I first put the duckling next to her but after she didnt move or even blink while it was pecking at her eyeballs! It tried to burrow in her fur, and she was trying to back away so she wouldnt squish it. Ive almoast stepped on one before so Amie wont be left unattended with them for while, but I think theyre going to be friends!

I have a little corgi, he's about 7 months old now. He ignores the chickens unless they're trying to get out of the aviary. Lol definite heel nipper though....

IMG_1300.JPG

He has these giant radar ears, and he's ran out of bed, middle of the night, to bark at things in the backyard.
Momo is really good with the house bunnies too!

Since I've had the dogs, I haven't lost any of my birds. But right now, my house is being remodeled, and the dogs are at a friends house. I lost my male Tibetan quail last night to a cat
sad.png
he's my only male!!

Corgies are great little dogs, they eat everything in sight, volunteers to clean chicken poop, but they are a herding breed, instinctive to think on their own. Doggie classes are definitely needed ^^ !!

Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom