ANOTHER HAWK ATTACK!!! I'm getting a dog, but is this the right breed?

I grew up with corgis and love them. Super smart and very powerful for their size. If you take the time to train them right you'll do fine, but as others have mentioned theyre not going to work against hawks. They do have a LOUD bark though, I'm sure you could train them to bark at hawks, maybe that would work? Train the chickens to go into shelter when the dog barks and you have a plan. Good luck, we are hoping to add a dog to our family sometime in 2012 too!

a rooster could work ,but i hear so many aggressive rooster stories or at least he would sound the alarm the hens that hawks are overhead.are your chickens free range or penned?.mine are free range with the pen and hen house access and we have hawks too, usually one of the hens will spot the hawk overhead and start clucking, then they all run for cover under bushes,trees, shrubs, even our kids play structure works for them. As far as dogs go we have a beagle female "field beagle"I'm told, their heads and muzzle are more narrow then traditional beagle,she's a good girl,got her as a pup exposed her early to the chickens never had a problem with her getting out of hand.But she seems TOO interested in small chicks I dont allow her to touch or sniff the chicks.
Never lost a chicken to a hawk,hawks stole a duck once ,FAT DUCK hawk picked her up made it about 20 feet up in the air,about 50feet across the yard and dropped her must of weighed about 12lbs.!! no worries she was fine quacked alot and shook it off. scary though .kimm

For protection from predators I would start with a Livestock Guard Breed of dog. But even they aren't perfect and need to be trained what to protect(they aren't natural protectors of poultry) they do sheep, cattle, etc.
But like someone else said, they may not be perfect protection from hawks. Their natural instinct is to protect against ground dwelling animals. A rooster would be better. One of my Penedesencas beat the crap out of a hawk a couple weeks ago. It had been hanging out a few days but hasn't been back.

How many chickens do you think it would take to feed these hawks?

72519_bwing_mig2.jpg

I would get a Cardigan Welsh Corgi over a Pembroke. Pembrokes have more of a drive and are harder headed. More like a terrior. Cardigans are a lot more trainable like a German Shepherd.

I have a dog that is excellent at looking to the skies for birds of prey. When the chickens go off, he is there in seconds. Only problem is he can't differentiate between hawks and vultures. He has never caught one but he does not give up as he knows it's his job. IF you know what breed he looks like, that would be greatly appreciated. I think CJ is Australian Shephard mixed with Border Collie but may never know.

He has never, EVER messed with a chicken but will kill possums and chase away coons and help me catch armadillos. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

40744_cj1.jpg

40744_cj2.jpg

40744_cj3.jpg

40744_cj4.jpg

Edited to add a pic of him on the porch. Sometimes I have my music loud and I don't hear the birds, but if the chickens or peacocks start going off, he is at the door jumping and whining.

Last edited:
He came from a family member and she said he is mixed with a Bernese Mountain Dog, I just don't see that in him. I want to DNA test him, but I heard they are not all that accurate. But, yes, he is a very attentive dog and I hope the OP finds one that meets her needs. He runs underneath any vulture or hawk circling the backyard, barking away.

Nathan

Back
Top Bottom