Another injured hen

caitbait

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
Oakland, CA
This time there is no obvious signs of bumblefoot or trauma (no blood, no broken bones). 8 year old polish hen who is still laying is very lame on one side. There is a lump on her back on the same side that is lame. I had her overnight inside for observation. I got her eating some yogurt this morning, and the limp is worse. I'm going to let her soak and check if she's egg bound (her eggs have been super thin shelled). Her 9yo flockmate is doing better, but is also not as moblie, so she's also inside resting as well.

outside of ruling out being egg bound, if this is a break/sprain, what else can I do for her? Would baby asprin help?

This time there is no obvious signs of bumblefoot or trauma (no blood, no broken bones). 8 year old polish hen who is still laying is very lame on one side. There is a lump on her back on the same side that is lame. I had her overnight inside for observation. I got her eating some yogurt this morning, and the limp is worse. I'm going to let her soak and check if she's egg bound (her eggs have been super thin shelled). Her 9yo flockmate is doing better, but is also not as moblie, so she's also inside resting as well.

outside of ruling out being egg bound, if this is a break/sprain, what else can I do for her? Would baby asprin help?
You can give her half of a baby aspirin. I’m sorry you are going through this 😞 it’s possible she maybe coming to the end of her natural life cycle; 8 is old for a chicken.

You can give her half of a baby aspirin. I’m sorry you are going through this 😞 it’s possible she maybe coming to the end of her natural life cycle; 8 is old for a chicken.
Thank you, this is something that I have in the back of my mind, and my main focus is to maintain a high quality of life within reason. I adopted a flock of senior birds in January that had been displaced from the CA fires this past fall. Of the 8 birds, the age distribution is 3 years old (2 hens), 5 yo (1 hen), 7 yo (2 hens), 8 (1 hen), and 9 (1 hen). I'm averaging 1-4 eggs a day with no supplemental light (which is unexpected, and delightful).

Since this is the 2nd injury with a different in a short period of time, I think maybe the roost bar may be too high and I'll be installing a new roost lower to accommodate.

Thank you, this is something that I have in the back of my mind, and my main focus is to maintain a high quality of life within reason. I adopted a flock of senior birds in January that had been displaced from the CA fires this past fall. Of the 8 birds, the age distribution is 3 years old (2 hens), 5 yo (1 hen), 7 yo (2 hens), 8 (1 hen), and 9 (1 hen). I'm averaging 1-4 eggs a day with no supplemental light (which is unexpected, and delightful).

Since this is the 2nd injury with a different in a short period of time, I think maybe the roost bar may be too high and I'll be installing a new roost lower to accommodate.
You sound like a really great person 😃

34FB09B2-6B57-4784-B116-28A3E0213650.jpeg
Here is a picture of the lump. Doesn’t look likeit’s from an injury 😔

Back
Top Bottom