Another Lavender Orpington sexing question.

@Finnie
Below was the pic I was orig searching for. At a glance they looked like a pair, but actually they were brothers. They were about the same age as your lavs in this pic.
IMG_1323.jpg

Also:
I'm glad your choc cuckoo went to a place where he'll be appreciated. You may remember that we had a double barred choc cuckoo rooster - named "Brick" Short for "Dumb as a Brick" (Kept getting lost in the backyard or trapped on wrong side of fence, so we joked he wouldn't make it to adulthood.)

He was stunning and so sweet to all the hens. The only problem I had was that he was breeding my lavenders. The whole summer..... every chick hatched turned out cuckoo. The 2 alpha roos were fighting for position while this guy was happy at the bottom ..... and mating away. (Turned out he was not that "dumb" after all) He had his own BYC fan club, so I had no problem finding this mature gentle roo a new home and harem. He even remembered me when I would visit and ran up to greet me.
brick in sunlight.jpg
Brick copy.jpg
IMG_2869.JPG

@Finnie
Below was the pic I was orig searching for. At a glance they looked like a pair, but actually they were brothers. They were about the same age as your lavs in this pic.
View attachment 2375557

Also:
I'm glad your choc cuckoo went to a place where he'll be appreciated. You may remember that we had a double barred choc cuckoo rooster - named "Brick" Short for "Dumb as a Brick" (Kept getting lost in the backyard or trapped on wrong side of fence, so we joked he wouldn't make it to adulthood.)

He was stunning and so sweet to all the hens. The only problem I had was that he was breeding my lavenders. The whole summer..... every chick hatched turned out cuckoo. The 2 alpha roos were fighting for position while this guy was happy at the bottom ..... and mating away. (Turned out he was not that "dumb" after all) He had his own BYC fan club, so I had no problem finding this mature gentle roo a new home and harem. He even remembered me when I would visit and ran up to greet me.
View attachment 2375572View attachment 2375574View attachment 2375571
I DO remember brick! He was gorgeous. Iā€™ve been wanting a ā€œchocolate barā€ Orpington ever since then.

Thanks for showing that photo of the two brothers. I strongly suspect both of mine are boys too. But I guess there is still hope for a little while.
I know the person who I bought those two from, and she will buy them back from me if necessary.

I am just thankful that now I finally have the two black Barred pullets, so I can make sex link chicks from them and the chocolate cockerel. And if I do a second generation, I should be able to make my own chocolate cuckoos.

Thank you both! Faraday, thank you for posting photos of your cockerel. It really does help with comparisons, and thatā€™s what anyone doing a search will need if they find this thread.

Well, I got saddle photos and they donā€™t lie. :(
View attachment 2375122View attachment 2375123View attachment 2375124View attachment 2375125View attachment 2375126View attachment 2375127View attachment 2375128View attachment 2375129View attachment 2375130View attachment 2375131View attachment 2375132
I guess Iā€™ll be contacting the seller.
So sorry about having to give him back. With just the head, my son and I were just about convinced female, but then those saddle feathers dont lie!

Is there any hope at all that these are pullets?

Supposedly 16-18 weeks old. I got them last night from somebody I know. She couldnā€™t remember when they were hatched, but knew it was ā€œspringā€. So I was thinking, 6 months old, pullets getting close to laying, no big deal if combs are getting red. But this morning seeing them running around loose in daylight, I donā€™t think they are anywhere near 6 months old. So I asked her to find out the hatch date, and it turns out she bought them on July 30th, and the breeder said ā€œ6-8 weeks oldā€. That puts them at 16-18 weeks now.

That gives me some hope, but I just went out and took photos for this thread, and I see male saddle feathers coming in on the one with the smaller comb.:hit

So, what do any of you Orpington experts think?

View attachment 2366314View attachment 2366315View attachment 2366316View attachment 2366317View attachment 2366318View attachment 2366319
Well, just to give some closure to this thread, itā€™s been two weeks, so they are 18-20 weeks old now, and they still arenā€™t looking like pullets. Today I had my glasses on, so I picked them up and looked closely at their saddle feathers, and they both have long skinny saddle feathers. :(

Even if they have the shredder gene, I was able to find enough fully intact saddle feathers to settle it in my mind that they are both boys. Oh well. Iā€™m actually tempted to keep one of them, but I probably shouldnā€™t.

Well, just to give some closure to this thread, itā€™s been two weeks, so they are 18-20 weeks old now, and they still arenā€™t looking like pullets. Today I had my glasses on, so I picked them up and looked closely at their saddle feathers, and they both have long skinny saddle feathers. :(

Even if they have the shredder gene, I was able to find enough fully intact saddle feathers to settle it in my mind that they are both boys. Oh well. Iā€™m actually tempted to keep one of them, but I probably shouldnā€™t.
You could make a bachelor flock and you can do different color orps although shredder gene is hard to breed out.

You could make a bachelor flock and you can do different color orps although shredder gene is hard to breed out.
In Orpingtons, I have these two, a chocolate cockerel and two black barred pullets. I like the idea that I can make sex linked chicks with these colors. I really donā€™t need a lavender for my plan, but if one of them doesnā€™t sell, I might use both the lavender and the chocolate next year.

Back
Top Bottom