Another moving chicks outside question

Pipersmom

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
My chicks, 2 RIR, and 4 EE, are about 3 weeks old. I moved them to their coop today. The thermostat is currently reading 88 degrees at 10:30 p.m.. The overnight low is close to 70. Should I hook up a heat lamp just in case, or do you think they'll be okay for the night? I'm afraid that they'll get too warm with the light on, but on the other hand, I don't want them to get chilly either.

My husband built them a green roof coop. They are shut into the hen house portion, which is pretty draft free. I'd rather not set an alarm to check on them at 3:00 a.m. - do you think I need to worry?

Thoughts or reassurance greatly appreciated - these are my first chicks.

You'll be cutting it pretty close. Do you live in a humid region? If so, the coop should maintain around 80 until morning.

If it were me, though, I'd plug the heat lamp into a timer and have it come on when you expect the air temp to reach 75 or 80, say around 3 am. Those are the coolest hours of the morning. Three-week olds really shouldn't have the temp be below 80 for any real length of time. If they were closer to five weeks, they would be fine.

I suggest you play it safe with the timer.

Thanks for the advice. The temp had dropped to 81, so I put their brooder light in and the babies are all happily eating and drinking instead of huddled in a pile. I guess they need a little more time to feather out.

One has discovered the roost and is happily presiding over her little chicken queendom. At least I hope she's a her!

Back
Top Bottom