Another - My Chicken Laid a Boiled Egg - mystery post

Pics

Skatchkins

Chirping
Jun 22, 2021
I searched Ms. Google and the mystery appears to have been posted and head scratched on BackyardChickens previously.

20230713_075148.jpg

How the what-why did my chicken lay a boiled egg?

Scene:
(law-and-order sound)
Morning egg eating time. I choose two eggs off the end of the spiral counter display, crack one over the butter simmer- it plops, and I ewwwwww.
Next egg, same shellish thing. I start spinning eggs willy-nilly thinking the wife mixed up some boilys, but she enters and adamantly denies. The eggs are two different colors, so definitely different chickens.

The wife conveniently starts to remember recently finding a couple strays off coop-campus, and attests to verifying the color of the allegedly errant drops.

Now, this is the State of Arizona, and while rampant newsperson conjecture speculates temperatures "hot enough to boil an egg on a politician's face," 112 F'ing degrees is actually not sizzilly enough to do such a thing. However, it should now be noted that the secret stash was situated upon scattered straw laying over one open-air, compost pile, a method of sorts that could cause the ambient air above and possibly said normally temperate eggs to reach plus 150 F'ing degrees, the very condition that the eggs in question could presumably soft boil, and in all truthful terms, the known temperature at which the aforementioned politician's pants do indeed catch fire.

To me, this is feeling a little bit scamish, especially how an egg needs to be boiled for at least ten minutes (which these eggs don't look like they've been boiled that long if they were).

How about you try an experiment. Take some eggs out of your refrigerator and set them in the same exact spot that you found those ones in with the same conditions and let them sit there for a couple of days (or however long those were suspected to be there). If you notice that the insides of the new eggs are looking cooked, then it's the temperature. If they're not, then someone might be playing a prank on you.

On a side note, a chicken cannot lay a boiled egg. Their body temperature will not rise to the temperature needed to be boiled, and if it does, then your chicken is either dead or close to dead.

Amazing! I'm also in AZ and we hit 118 recently. If those eggs were over a compost (ie. where heat is generated) then, yeah, I suppose you could've hit 130 F in that specific spot. I know the eggs I'm getting out of the roll-away nestbox are very hot these recent days.

Maybe you could put a pan on that spot and see if you can't fry an egg after all.

Take some eggs out of your refrigerator

Now why would a good chicken dad like me ever put his girls' fresh eggs in the refrigerator? This suggestion is the real farce at hand, good sir and or madam.

But you know what, I will pull a couple beauts out of today's bounty and sacrifice them to this experiment. The wife is guessing the last victims were only 2 days on the compost pile. She is somewhat trustworthy as a source.

experiment.jpg

Oh good, the sun is going down.
20230715_175330.jpg

Eye witness checks the reenactment's placement
20230715_175512.jpg

Judgement Day failsafe
20230715_180229.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom