Another "my hens won't go in the coop" post

eggsucker

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Hello again, been a while since my last post. I need a hand figuring something out.

I have 3 hens, one brown leghorn, one Americana and another one that we aren't sure of it's breed, oh and a duck..... We have a decent sized fenced in yard that we let them run around in by day. I built a more than ample size coop for them at the beginning of this summer. All of the birds have stayed in the coop for most of the winter with the odd weekend in the tree but the last couple of weeks they have not wanted to go into the coop at night. The coop is clean and well built and they still go in there to lay in the egg boxes but prefer to sleep on the trampoline. After reading around I hear that a light in the coop might help, will give that a try tonight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have any questions feel free.

Thanks

Quote:
I would lock them up in the coop / run area for a couple of weeks. They need to LEARN this is HOME. They roost in certain places out of HABIT - - -You have to break the habit.

I just moved some pullets from their bitty cage to the new coop. They were free ranging and we were catching them in the evening and locking them up in the bitty cage. NOW, I want them to move in with the rest of the flock. So I am locking them up in the coop / run for the next couple of weeks. THEY DO NOT GET TO FREE RANGE during this time. The rest of the flock leaves everyday to free range, but not the new ones. It will take a couple of weeks, but they will learn this is their NEW HOME !

Back
Top Bottom